cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hughrmarks
Level: Powered On

Quick question about data source

I have to create a sign up sheet with basic info (name, age, etc.) and want to save it to an Excel table.   Do I always have to create the table first or is there a way for automatically create one?   It's just weird because if I create one there won't be any records in it until I patch the info over.   Would I just create the headers in Excel if this is the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Quick question about data source

Hi @hughrmarks

Yes, it's necessary to create the table first.

When you create the Excel spreadsheet, the most important step is to format the data as a table, as described here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/get-started-create-from-blank

I would populate the spreadsheet with some sample data before you add it as a datasource. You can always delete the data afterwards. If you add sample data, PowerApps can recognize the numeric and date/time fields in your spreadsheet, and map the data types accordingly in your app.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @hughrmarks

Yes, it's necessary to create the table first.

When you create the Excel spreadsheet, the most important step is to format the data as a table, as described here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/get-started-create-from-blank

I would populate the spreadsheet with some sample data before you add it as a datasource. You can always delete the data afterwards. If you add sample data, PowerApps can recognize the numeric and date/time fields in your spreadsheet, and map the data types accordingly in your app.

View solution in original post

hughrmarks
Level: Powered On

Makes sense. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,817)