cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
TGrounds
Level 8

Random Backgroun Color in embedded grid in Desktop PowerApps App

I have tested the following in the PowerApps desktop App and in IE (because we found a bug that won't allow it to run in Edge).  It appears to only happen in the Desktop PowerApp app.

 

I have a Vertical grid (Grid#1) which is loaded from a SharePoint list (21 items) and within that vertical grid (Grid#2) is a horizontal grid also loaded from an associated SharePoint list (Up to 10 items per item in Grid#1). 

PowerAppError02-01.png

I have a dropdown object in Grid#2 where the user selects a value and that value relates to a TemplateFill value of an associated color.  When the user selects the value in the dropdown, the 'On-Change' action writes the value to a 3rd SharePoint listing associated to the gallery items from Grid#2 and Grid#1.  The 'Default' attribute is where I have If logic that does a Lookup on the 3rd SharePoint list to see if a value exists for the Grid#2 value that was loaded to that frame of the gallery.  If one doesn't exist, then it defaults to a value of 'None'

PowerAppError02-02.png

I use the TemplateFill value of the gallery to evaluate the value in the dropdown and through nested IF statements determine the color value to set.

 

the initial screen always displays correctly but as I scroll down the vertical grid (Grid#1) and PowerApps paints the additional gallery, there is a point when if there isn't a record in the 3rd table and the 'Default' value on the dropdown should default to 'None' - it defaults to a random value - and all gallery fields forward adopt that same value. 

PowerAppError02-03.png

 

The value and associated color change each time this happens - it's not always the same 'random' value.  What I have been able to deduce is that it happens on the cells where there isn't a lookup record to accurately set the default in the dropdown.  If it does encounter a record in the table and can accurately do the Lookup, then the value and color appear correctly but all other cells around it adopt this 'random' color.  In the image above all of the 'Yellow' blocks DON'T have a record in the third SharePoint list - but the two green ones do.

 

If I have already navigated to the bottom of my vertical gallery and then select the value that turns on these colors, scrolling back up the listing works correctly.  Also, if you have ever scrolled down to the bottom of the vertical gallery and allow everything to load, you don't run into this issue at all.  It's only when you are at the top of the list and select a customer which sets the colors.

 

Has anyone else seen this issue?

 

Thanks- 
Tom.

 

 

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Random Backgroun Color in embedded grid in Desktop PowerApps App

Would you please share the formula for the color settings?

Just from your description, I suspect the default value for the color part has been updated based on the user interaction, which may cause the default blank value to show random values.

 

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
TGrounds
Level 8

Re: Random Backgroun Color in embedded grid in Desktop PowerApps App

Here are the different formulas that work together to set the color:

There is a Dropdown in my gallery {Customer_Usage) that looks up a value from a SharePoint listing (CustomerFunctionAdoption) - there are 4 potential values:

"Partial"

"Potential"

"Full"

and "None"

 

Note:  In the data the values of  "Full", "Potential" and "Partial" are written to the list and the default is 'none' but there may not be a record in the list for 'None' - they will if it had been set to one of the other values and later turned to 'None' - this reduces the number of records in the SharePoint List.

 

On the Gallery - TemplateFill:

If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value = "None",RGBA(255,255,255,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Partial",RGBA(102,182,227,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Potential",RGBA(255,191,0,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Full",RGBA(127,178,57,1)))))

 

The "Customer_Usage" dropdown - Default:

If('CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title<> "---" && 'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title <> "---",
LookUp(CustomerFunctionAdoption,'CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title exactin Customer.Value &&
'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title exactin Success_Engagement.Value &&
Function_Code.Text exactin Function_ID.Value,Adoption_Level.Value),

If('CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title<>"---" && 'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title="---",
LookUp(CustomerFunctionAdoption,'CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title exactin Customer.Value &&
Function_Code.Text exactin Function_ID.Value,Adoption_Level.Value),

"None"))

It is looking at two values - Customer and Engagement to look up the FunctionAdoption.  If an Engagement isn't selected, then it looks up by Customer only.  If it doesn't find either, then it sets the value to 'None'.

 

The only user interaction that is happening is scrolling down through the vertical gallery - once I get one or two pages scrolled, that is when the dropdown is being set at a value that isn't correct - I look in the SharePoint list for the customer adoption and don't find any records for the items that are being set to this random color.  The dropdown is being set to the associated value of the color that the gallery cell is being set to - but the value that the dropdown is being set to doesn't have an associated record in the SharePoint list - meaning it should default to 'None'.  It appears that it is when it doesn't find the lookup and should default to 'None' is when it's having the issue.

 

I hope this makes sense.

Tom.

JRaasumaa
Level 10

Re: Random Backgroun Color in embedded grid in Desktop PowerApps App


@TGrounds wrote:

Here are the different formulas that work together to set the color:

There is a Dropdown in my gallery {Customer_Usage) that looks up a value from a SharePoint listing (CustomerFunctionAdoption) - there are 4 potential values:

"Partial"

"Potential"

"Full"

and "None"

 

Note:  In the data the values of  "Full", "Potential" and "Partial" are written to the list and the default is 'none' but there may not be a record in the list for 'None' - they will if it had been set to one of the other values and later turned to 'None' - this reduces the number of records in the SharePoint List.

 

On the Gallery - TemplateFill:

If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value = "None",RGBA(255,255,255,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Partial",RGBA(102,182,227,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Potential",RGBA(255,191,0,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Full",RGBA(127,178,57,1)))))

 

The "Customer_Usage" dropdown - Default:

If('CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title<> "---" && 'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title <> "---",
LookUp(CustomerFunctionAdoption,'CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title exactin Customer.Value &&
'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title exactin Success_Engagement.Value &&
Function_Code.Text exactin Function_ID.Value,Adoption_Level.Value),

If('CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title<>"---" && 'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title="---",
LookUp(CustomerFunctionAdoption,'CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title exactin Customer.Value &&
Function_Code.Text exactin Function_ID.Value,Adoption_Level.Value),

"None"))

It is looking at two values - Customer and Engagement to look up the FunctionAdoption.  If an Engagement isn't selected, then it looks up by Customer only.  If it doesn't find either, then it sets the value to 'None'.

 

The only user interaction that is happening is scrolling down through the vertical gallery - once I get one or two pages scrolled, that is when the dropdown is being set at a value that isn't correct - I look in the SharePoint list for the customer adoption and don't find any records for the items that are being set to this random color.  The dropdown is being set to the associated value of the color that the gallery cell is being set to - but the value that the dropdown is being set to doesn't have an associated record in the SharePoint list - meaning it should default to 'None'.  It appears that it is when it doesn't find the lookup and should default to 'None' is when it's having the issue.

 

I hope this makes sense.

Tom.


 

 

Maybe I'm confused, if those yellow blocks don't have a value how can they find the "None" to show the color correctly?

Edit: I was confused, I see now how that is working, I'd still go with a switch and evaluate a missing lookup to the dropdown as white.

 

If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value = "None",RGBA(255,255,255,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Partial",RGBA(102,182,227,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Potential",RGBA(255,191,0,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Full",RGBA(127,178,57,1)))))

 

 

You could change this to a switch and include a null/none as the "else" of the switch and make your code much neater.

 

 

Switch(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value,
"None",RGBA(255,255,255,1),
"Partial",RGBA(102,182,227,1),
"Potential",RGBA(255,191,0,1),
"Full",RGBA(127,178,57,1),
RGBA(255,255,255,1))

 

In my example you don't really need the none to evaluate but I think that makes the point.

TGrounds
Level 8

Re: Random Backgroun Color in embedded grid in Desktop PowerApps App

In the forumula for the dropdown, it controls the value - it will always have one of the 4 values - the 'None' is the 'ELSE' value when a record isn't found.

 

With regards to the formula that sets the Template color, the dropdown will/should always have a one of the 4 values.

 

So, the issue is less about the color setting (that appears to be working correclty and setting the correct color based on the value of hte dropdown), the issue seems to be with the setting of the value of the dropdown and when I scroll down rather than set to the value in the SharePoint list, it sets them all to a random value (which in turn sets the associated color).  So, my issue appears to be when I scroll and it refreshes the listing, it is having issue wiht setting the 'else' value of 'NONE'.  I guess I got distracted by the color it was setting it to vs. the fact that it didn't find a record in the SharePoint list and should be defaulting to 'None'.

 

 

TGrounds
Level 8

Re: Random Backgroun Color in embedded grid in Desktop PowerApps App


@JRaasumaa wrote:

@TGrounds wrote:

Here are the different formulas that work together to set the color:

There is a Dropdown in my gallery {Customer_Usage) that looks up a value from a SharePoint listing (CustomerFunctionAdoption) - there are 4 potential values:

"Partial"

"Potential"

"Full"

and "None"

 

Note:  In the data the values of  "Full", "Potential" and "Partial" are written to the list and the default is 'none' but there may not be a record in the list for 'None' - they will if it had been set to one of the other values and later turned to 'None' - this reduces the number of records in the SharePoint List.

 

On the Gallery - TemplateFill:

If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value = "None",RGBA(255,255,255,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Partial",RGBA(102,182,227,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Potential",RGBA(255,191,0,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Full",RGBA(127,178,57,1)))))

 

The "Customer_Usage" dropdown - Default:

If('CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title<> "---" && 'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title <> "---",
LookUp(CustomerFunctionAdoption,'CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title exactin Customer.Value &&
'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title exactin Success_Engagement.Value &&
Function_Code.Text exactin Function_ID.Value,Adoption_Level.Value),

If('CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title<>"---" && 'CMB:SelectSuccessEngagement'.Selected.Title="---",
LookUp(CustomerFunctionAdoption,'CMB:SelectCustomer'.Selected.Title exactin Customer.Value &&
Function_Code.Text exactin Function_ID.Value,Adoption_Level.Value),

"None"))

It is looking at two values - Customer and Engagement to look up the FunctionAdoption.  If an Engagement isn't selected, then it looks up by Customer only.  If it doesn't find either, then it sets the value to 'None'.

 

The only user interaction that is happening is scrolling down through the vertical gallery - once I get one or two pages scrolled, that is when the dropdown is being set at a value that isn't correct - I look in the SharePoint list for the customer adoption and don't find any records for the items that are being set to this random color.  The dropdown is being set to the associated value of the color that the gallery cell is being set to - but the value that the dropdown is being set to doesn't have an associated record in the SharePoint list - meaning it should default to 'None'.  It appears that it is when it doesn't find the lookup and should default to 'None' is when it's having the issue.

 

I hope this makes sense.

Tom.


 

 

Maybe I'm confused, if those yellow blocks don't have a value how can they find the "None" to show the color correctly?

Edit: I was confused, I see now how that is working, I'd still go with a switch and evaluate a missing lookup to the dropdown as white.

 

If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value = "None",RGBA(255,255,255,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Partial",RGBA(102,182,227,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Potential",RGBA(255,191,0,1),
If(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value="Full",RGBA(127,178,57,1)))))

 

 

You could change this to a switch and include a null/none as the "else" of the switch and make your code much neater.

 

 

Switch(Customer_Usage.Selected.Value,
"None",RGBA(255,255,255,1),
"Partial",RGBA(102,182,227,1),
"Potential",RGBA(255,191,0,1),
"Full",RGBA(127,178,57,1),
RGBA(255,255,255,1))

 

In my example you don't really need the none to evaluate but I think that makes the point.


The Switch option much cleaner - however, I'm guessing that I will continue to have the same issue if the 'Customer_Usage' value isn't being set correctly.

JRaasumaa
Level 10

Re: Random Backgroun Color in embedded grid in Desktop PowerApps App


@TGrounds wrote:


The Switch option much cleaner - however, I'm guessing that I will continue to have the same issue if the 'Customer_Usage' value isn't being set correctly.


 

I see what you're saying, it's like the gallery isn't refreshing loading the dropdown values when scrolled. There might be a delay/limitation that is causing it to stop loading again once it's done it a first time and causing what you are seeing.

 

 

Fantastic looking app by the way

TGrounds
Level 8

Re: Random Backgroun Color in embedded grid in Desktop PowerApps App

I've told my users that when this happens to reset the customer/engagement dropdowns at the top of the form and it resets the values properly.  It's a pain, but it works.

 

and thanks!  my users have been piloting this app with our customers to help visually show the functions/features of the applications that they have purchased.  It helps them get more value out of their investment.  My users really love the app (but get a little tired of issues like this which potentially misrepresent).

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,541)