cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zdieter
Level: Powered On

Reading from AD without linking to it

Hi,

I am making an app where I need to have managers confirm peoples information in Azure AD. Is there a way to get groups of people from AD without being linked to AD. I do not need to be able to write to AD just read from it.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeteMc
Level 8

Re: Reading from AD without linking to it

One of the example apps, the on boarding app can show how to connect to Azure ad, then rather than saving back to Azure ad you could send an email or update a sharepoint list or spreadsheet. See example app here: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/office-template-onboarding-tasks-now-available/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PeteMc
Level 8

You could write a custom API that connects to either GraphAPI or AzureAD directly, that way the API authenticates agaist AD and not the user.

zdieter

Could you link me some resources on how to that? I am new to this.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @zdieter,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to get groups of people from Azure AD without adding the Azure AD connector as a data source within your app?

If you want to get groups of people from Azure AD without adding the Azure AD connector as a data source within your app, I afraid that there is no direct way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

I agree with @PeteMc's thought almost, you could consider take a try to create a custom connector using Azure Active Directory Graph API (or Microsoft Graph) to access the Azure AD resource.

More details about the Azure Active Directory Graph API, please check the following article:

Azure Active Directory Graph API

More details about creating a custom connector in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Create a custom connector in PowerApps

In addition, please also check if the follownig blog would help in your scenario:

https://gotoguy.blog/2017/12/17/access-microsoft-graph-api-using-custom-connector-in-powerapps-and-f...

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
zdieter

Currently, our AzureAD is not up to date; people exist that should not, names are not correct, etc. We are creating an app that managers will have to use to keep their employee's information up to date. The app will show them all their employees currently in the system. They will be able to add, delete, or edit the information but it will not directly edit azure but instead, be sent to HR so they can confirm or decline. Please let me know if anything needs to be clarified. 

PeteMc
Level 8

One of the example apps, the on boarding app can show how to connect to Azure ad, then rather than saving back to Azure ad you could send an email or update a sharepoint list or spreadsheet. See example app here: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/office-template-onboarding-tasks-now-available/

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,335)