cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PhilD
Level 8

Recommendations for auto refresh every minute

I have a functioning, but not yet deployed, app that involves dispatching cases to a group of around 30 users. The app uses SharePoint lists as the datasource and has tables like Tasks, Task Events, Employees, Locations, etc. This all works pretty well so far in my prototype. The dispatcher can marry employees to tasks and employee's status is updated throughout the process. All the activity can be viewed/managed by the dispatcher from a screen with multiple galleries filtered to show employees and tasks in various status. The employees will use iPhone devices with a simple screen showing tasks assigned to them.

I have the main data source (tasks) sorted first, then filtered so the sort is delegated to SharePoint and only the X most recent records are returned each time.

In order to keep the data presented fresh, I have used a timer to refresh the relevant data sources (tasks, employees) every minute. My question is, will this present problems with around 30 users having the app open 24/7?  Would there be a benefit to collecting the main data source every minute vs. refreshing it? Is there a theoretical limit to the number of requests that can occur in a period of time after which this will simply stop working?

Any and all advice is much appreciated, thanks !

6 REPLIES 6
Jdemke
Level: Powered On

Re: Recommendations for auto refresh every minute

Would having a button on the screen for the user to manually refresh the data not work?

PhilD
Level 8

This would not work because they would have to refresh after every transaction. There are a lot of changes to the status of each task which also changes the status of the employee. Any of these changes could be made by any of the 30 or so people using the app.
Jdemke
Level: Powered On

You could have it refresh after they complete the transaction and have a manual refresh button. Have a constant update would probably slow the app down, I don't know for sure because I haven't done something like that on that scale.

PhilD
Level 8

I was thinking about that but  if an employee in the field produced a transaction which also refreshed the datasource, the dispatcher wouldn't see the results of the refresh on their end until their instance of the app refreshed.

PhilD
Level 8

I was more worried about possiblyl running up against some sort of limit to the number of data requests then slowing down the app but of course that would be a concern as well.

PhilD
Level 8

Quote from blog post Performance Considerations with PowerApps

"When deploying your app to a large number of user, one has to keep in mind the connectors are throttled. PowerApps currently support 600 requests per minute per user and up to 30 concurrent calls per user."

I think I need some help understanding how that statement relates to refreshing a SharePoint list on a timer. Is each refresh of the list counted as a request? If a SharePoint list that is refreshed has lookup type columns, do these affect the number of requests counted to when refreshing the list? I'm not really clear on a straightforward way to measure this to determine where I stand.

Any help understanding how to accommodating this throttling is appreciated, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,473)