Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vsslasd
Level 8

Refresh(dbo.SQLServerTableName)

Good Morning,

Can someone please tell me what exactly Refresh(dbo.SQLServerTableName) does ?

The information in the documentation was very limited. It states that the SQL Server table gets refreshed withother peoples data.

But does this mean that the whole and entire table is getting pulled down from SQL Server to the Phone Application ?

Thank you,

John

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refresh(dbo.SQLServerTableName)

Ah, yes. Not sure if there is a WHERE statement but I believe that Refresh(datasource) on its own will try to refresh all 100,000 rows if there are that many. 

Somebody more experienced than me might be able to provide a fuller answer. 

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @vsslasd,

The Refresh function is used to retrieve a fresh copy of a data source within your app.

Actually, when you add a connection to your SQL table from your app, it just add a copy/reference of your SQL table data source within the app (rather than add Original SQL table within your app).

I agree with @Anonymous's thought almost, if you have 100,000 rows in the SQL table, when you use Refresh('dbo.SQLServerTableName') formula in your app, it would retrieve a fresh copy of 100,000 rows of your SQL table within your app. In other words, the whole table records would be pulled down from your SQL Server to your app.

Note: The whole SQL table records would not be downloaded/stored into your local device, the whole SQL table records would be stored within your PowerApps environment along with the app.

More details about the Environment within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Environment

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi John, 

It just means that if any changes have been made in the SQL server table, then they are pushed to PowerApps. 

Say you have a form where you add or edit information on your employees. I go in and change Mickey Mouse's name to Michael Mouse and click on a button that submits the form. 

Those changes might appear in the SQL table itself, but without Refresh(the table) somewhere, then you might come into the app later and you'll still see Mickey, rather than Michael, because PowerApps wouldn't have known to go look for any updates. 

Does that make sense? 

Somebody else feel free to chime in with a better explanation. 

vsslasd
Level 8

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

That's why I am raising my hand here for this question... We want to be certain we are optimizing performance.

We certainly wouldn't want to always bring the entire table down to the phone. Using a view with a Where clause could help in that regard. But if you have 100,000 rows in the SQL table, and use the statement Refresh(SQLTable), it seems like it is going to try and return all 100,000 rows? Except I think Power Apps does have a row count max.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, yes. Not sure if there is a WHERE statement but I believe that Refresh(datasource) on its own will try to refresh all 100,000 rows if there are that many. 

Somebody more experienced than me might be able to provide a fuller answer. 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @vsslasd,

The Refresh function is used to retrieve a fresh copy of a data source within your app.

Actually, when you add a connection to your SQL table from your app, it just add a copy/reference of your SQL table data source within the app (rather than add Original SQL table within your app).

I agree with @Anonymous's thought almost, if you have 100,000 rows in the SQL table, when you use Refresh('dbo.SQLServerTableName') formula in your app, it would retrieve a fresh copy of 100,000 rows of your SQL table within your app. In other words, the whole table records would be pulled down from your SQL Server to your app.

Note: The whole SQL table records would not be downloaded/stored into your local device, the whole SQL table records would be stored within your PowerApps environment along with the app.

More details about the Environment within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Environment

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,847)