cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaWu
Level 8

Renaming of Controls/DataCards very slow and proportional to total amount of controls

Hello,

Please be so kind as to read my full post before responding.
Thank you for your consideration.

My company requires me to develop mostly rather complex PowerApps (or Apps for custom(ized) Dynamics entities with quite a number of fields, and thus DataCards) with numbers of Controls in the hundreds and DataCards in the dozens.
After a certain number of Controls/DataCards, simply adding controls, and/or renaming them (before they have been referenced anywhere) becomes tediously slow, triggering "Please wait" for sometimes minutes.
image.pngimage.png
I am guessing that this is caused by the (otherwise great) feature of automatically adapting formulas to changed control names.
I am just very surprised and annoyed by (as far as I understand and have "programmed") unreferenced controls also causing long delays.

Is anyone aware of this "issue"?
I didn't find any post or idea relating to the slowness of renaming things.

Thank you,
     Sa Wu.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Renaming of unreferenced Controls/DataCards very slow and proportional to total amount of controls

Hi @SaWu 

I test on my side, and do not have this issue.

So could you try to clear cache and cookies or change other browsers to test?

Do you test wiht another App?

Is it always very slow?

rename.gif

Best Regards.

Yumia

SaWu
Level 8

Re: Renaming of unreferenced Controls/DataCards very slow and proportional to total amount of controls

Hello @v-yuxima-msft 

As I have written in my original post, Studio only slows down significantly for some of the large PowerApps that I am developing.
It isn't always slow.
But it's nowhere near fast in my larger PowerApps.

I have no problems whatsover with smaller PowerApps with maybe 20 DataCards and 100 controls.
I have tried clearing cache, switching browser (tried with Chrome, Firefox, Edge), private mode etc.
This doesn't seem to help consistently for my large PowerApps.

From what I can see in your screenshot/animation, your test App isn't even close to a "large" App where things slow down for me.

Im my slowest App (for development) I have around 70 DataCards in the main Editing Form.
Each DataCard has at least a Label and one kind of Input control, so I am estimating I'll have at least 300 controls (label, text input, combo box) etc as well.
Here's a compressed screen grab (manufactured with GameBar, MovieMaker, and online cropping tool/gif converter) showing how I needed around 4 minutes to add and rename 1 custom DataCard with 1 Label and 1 Button, with most of the time spent waiting.
It also shows one instance of autocompletion messing up and overwriting things it shouldn't.
powerfair_slow (1).gif

Could you try adding maybe 60 more custom DataCards with a label and a TextInput for each DataCard to your PowerApp and write me about the performance of adding/removing/renaming DataCards/controls afterwards?

Thanks,
     Sa Wu.

SaWu
Level 8

Hello

Here's another example, working on the same PowerApp with renaming one (referenced) control takes almost 2 minutes.
powerfair_slow_2.gif

Thanks,
    Sa Wu.

Administrator
Administrator

Hi @SaWu did this ever speed up for you?

@TopShelf-MSFT 

SaWu
Level 8

Hi @TopShelf-MSFT ,

In most of my newer Apps I seem to have noticed an improvement in speed with renaming controls.
But I haven't run any tests etc.

I have tried with my (previously often discussed) most complex PowerApp, and there it is still tediously slow.
I could open the App, start renaming the control, please wait showing up, make myself a fresh coffee from scratch, return, and still find please wait, so in total easily several minutes.
But maybe this particular attempt overlapped with something else that was going on after loading the PowerApp in Studio.
Some stopwatch timings of several renaming attempts (of the same control) afterwards yielded times between 40-120 seconds.
image.png

Last tested with:

App ID: 96e7696c-7c43-4d1e-921f-532d2682b76c
Session ID: 5d285f87-3477-434b-a4ea-9952b19cfef6
PowerApps 3.19075.21

Thanks,
    Sa Wu.

SaWu
Level 8

Re: Renaming of Controls/DataCards very slow and proportional to total amount of controls

Hello

Apologies, I was confusing and mixing up some things.
This post was originally about renaming unreferenced controls.
Renaming those has been faster as far as I could tell in recent releases (3.19075.21 at time of writing).

What is still excruciatingly slow is renaming referenced controls in big Apps.
The timings and comments from my last post were all about controls which are referenced in at least one other formula.

I have removed "unreferenced" from the title to reflect his.

Thank you for your consideration,
    Sa.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 332 members 5,632 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: