cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyAu
Level: Powered On

Reporting Tool - report creation and integration

Hi,

It had been some time since I'd last programmed but I decided recently to write an app in powerapps. Its a Site Inspection app used by a small business with Office365. This app connects to an sql server database(web version). I now need to be able to create a report. This report is a fairly standard type of structured data report that the user could just select and run with the output in pdf form .

Because I havent programmed for some time Im not really up with the technologies such as SQL Server Reporting Services and Power BI. Im a bit confused when comparing the two and unsure how well they can integrate with the app. I would like to know what would be the best tool to create these reports with, that would also integrate well with PowerApps(by integrate I mean can you launch a report from within powerapps).

Just need a few pointers to get me headed in right direction.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
TonyAu

Re: Reporting Tool - report creation and integration

Because Im using SQL Server with my Powerapps app Ive setup SQL Server Reporting Services and are building reports in Visual Studio Data Tools.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @TonyAu,

Powerapps does not have a direct way to produce written reports.  This has been a highly requested feature.  Shane Young  @Shanescows , has a video for producing a PDF at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rfAQe1kK8M.  As an alternative, I use desktop MS Access to produce my reports.  I orginally migrated to Powerapps from Access Web Apps and a potential deal breaker was the inability to produce printed reports.  However, I found that I could link back to my tables in Access and they remained synchronized with Powerapps.  I can create queries and reports just like I used to do from Access Web Apps and still use Powerapps as the front end for collecting and collating data.  I believe that there is also a third party app that can be used for reporting but I'm too cheap to pay for the feature.  Hopefully, the team will come up with a more direct way to create reports directly from Powerapps as this is one of the most requested features, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. 

TonyAu

Thanks for the reply Rick. Will check out Shane re. PDF.

Does anyone have experience with power Bi. Is this an easy tool for users to run reports, not build them.

Highlighted
TonyAu

Because Im using SQL Server with my Powerapps app Ive setup SQL Server Reporting Services and are building reports in Visual Studio Data Tools.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 344 members 5,916 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: