cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JD2301
Level: Powered On

Retrieve SharePoint ID after Patching to SharePoint List

Hi Guys,

Having trouble figuring how to retrieve a SharePoint ID back to my App, I've read a few threads but none seem to hold the answers for my particular query.

I have built an Audit app which patches the scores to a Sharepoint List. The columns in my SP list are
Name, Site, Question, ID, Scores, Comments.
The ID is the auto sharepoint generated one - The Name, Site, Question & Scores are mandatory fields in my app which will produce an answer every time the app is submitted. The 'Comments' field will only be populated if a question receives a 'Fail' mark.
This is because if a questions is a 'fail', the app sends out a generic email to a colleague to make this failed question into a 'Pass'.  In the email notification, it has a link to a page in the app where the colleague will enter the comments needed to make it up to a 'Pass'. When they press submit, I need the comments entered to update the 'Comments' field in my SP list for that record.
So I need to get the ID of the failed question(s) back into PowerApps so I can have it displayed in the email notification which goes out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
JD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Retrieve SharePoint ID after Patching to SharePoint List

@JD2301 

Unfortunately with a DataTable there is no way to format the columns as you wish.  It will only display data as it is defined in the underlying datasource connected to it.

Not sure exactly what type of field your date is (is it a true date field or a string?) - I am assuming it to be a real date field for the following:

What you would need to do in this case is to utilize the AddColumns function.  

Change your Items for the DataTable as such:

AddColumns(youSharePointDataSourceAndFilter, "VisitDate", Text(DateOfVisitColumnName, "dd/mm/yyyy"))

Then, go back to your DataTable and view the fields- you will now see the new one in there.  Uncheck the old one, and check the "VisitDate" field.

You can go to that column and give it the same DisplayName of "Date of Visit" to be consistent in your table if you want.

That will give you a formatted column. 

Keep in mind...if you want to tie any Item in a From somewhere to the Selected item while using the underlying data source...you will need to Drop that column in the Item formula of the EditForm.

Hope this help.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@JD2301 

You can capture the ID from two ways (actually three, but third not worth mentioning).

One, If you are dealing with an Edit Form, just look at the Form.LastSubmit property.  It will be the record last submitted successfully and will have the SharePoint ID.

Two, if you are dealing with a Patch formula, you can set a variable to the Patch results:

Set(latestRecord, Patch(datasource, Defaults(datasource), {...your values here... })

In this case, latestRecord will have the SharePoint ID if the Patch was successful.

Hope this helps some.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
JD2301

Hi @RandyHayes ,

Thanks for your reply, I will use this solution in my other form.
For this one, I figured out a different way to do it just after I posted on here.. 
I inserted a data table which recalls the scores from Sharepoint and produces the SP ID which I need - this works fine for me.
However I just have one slight issue I cant work out - The 'Date of Visit' column in my data table is showing as mm/dd/yyyy, I need it to be dd/mm/yyyy.
In my sharepoint list it is in the correct format so I'm unsure how to change it in my data table, as below.

PA7.pngI have also changed my date picker to show as dd/mm/yyyy so it is just in my data table where I need it to change.

Do you know how to do this ?

Thanks for your help.

Super User
Super User

@JD2301 

Unfortunately with a DataTable there is no way to format the columns as you wish.  It will only display data as it is defined in the underlying datasource connected to it.

Not sure exactly what type of field your date is (is it a true date field or a string?) - I am assuming it to be a real date field for the following:

What you would need to do in this case is to utilize the AddColumns function.  

Change your Items for the DataTable as such:

AddColumns(youSharePointDataSourceAndFilter, "VisitDate", Text(DateOfVisitColumnName, "dd/mm/yyyy"))

Then, go back to your DataTable and view the fields- you will now see the new one in there.  Uncheck the old one, and check the "VisitDate" field.

You can go to that column and give it the same DisplayName of "Date of Visit" to be consistent in your table if you want.

That will give you a formatted column. 

Keep in mind...if you want to tie any Item in a From somewhere to the Selected item while using the underlying data source...you will need to Drop that column in the Item formula of the EditForm.

Hope this help.

View solution in original post

JD2301

Thanks @RandyHayes that worked perfectly!  Thank you for your help!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 91 members 4,276 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: