Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smol4
Level: Powered On

SQL to powerapp

Hi all,

I have an urgent question.

We would save data in a SQL on azure and would like this data to be shown in a powerapp, filtered per user.

Now, our train of thought was to make a 'peoplefield' in azure where the domainusers are stored. Then we would filter in the powerapp on that field. I'm having the hardest time to find if that is possible + if that is the way to go.

Is there a different/better approuch? 

Thanks a lot!

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: SQL to powerapp

If you are saying there will be a column in the Azure SQL table that has for example a list of email addresses or usernames, then yes its very possible to filter the list in PowerApps that way.  Just be aware that it isn't the same as security.  Users will need access to the whole table and could use the established connection to pull the data and filter it differently.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Smol4
Level: Powered On

Thank you for the faast reply, much appreciated!

Few questions:

- So in SQL you just need a textfield where the users email(s) would be stored?

- I did not think of that, thank you very much. So we would give the users access to that SQL so it would work? Or is that established automaticcaly when you lay that connection?

Or maybe we would copy the needed records and maybe put them in cds? Is that the safer option?

Thanks again,

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The SQL connector asks for a connection account when you connect to Azure SQL.  This will be a SQL account, since the connector doesn't support the use of Azure AD accounts for Azure SQL.  That account has to have permission for whatever you want to do with the data in SQL.

If you want security, CDS might provide more options.  But in general I don't think its worth the overhead of duplicating the information and keeping it in sync. I think its usually best to have only one copy of any piece of information.  So if its in SQL and you can use it from SQL without major concerns that is where I would leave it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,517)