cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaronk21234
Level: Powered On

Sample App is not connecting to data source

I wanted to check out the Service Desk template app, so I created it, then gave it access to OneDrive for business to allow it to save data.  Now I can not find the Excel file on OneDrive anywhere...

• Confirmed that I am the owner of the app (did not create it under a different user)
  • Searched my entire OneDrive directory, including Powerapps/Templates.  I did not see a folder created there for this template app, although I see folders for others I have created.
  • Could not see anything in the app that shows me the actual location of the file.

Any assistance would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Help finding data source for template app

The first time I created this app and used the "make it your own" button to link to OneDrive, it really DIDN'T link to OneDrive.  At this point, it still showed all the data sources (View - Data Source) as being Excel.  Also, the option to make the app my own still was displayed.  I repeated this process and this time, it took longer AND it reloaded the app after doing so.  Then when I looked at the Data Sources, it showed them all pointed to OneDrive.

1Drive.jpg

Once that occured, I added a record and saved it and then I was able to find the data file in OneDrive under PowerApps, Service Desk unique folder name. 

1Drive2.jpg

If you still don't see it, I would repeat the entire process from the very beginning and make sure you see OneDrive in your data sources.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

The first time I created this app and used the "make it your own" button to link to OneDrive, it really DIDN'T link to OneDrive.  At this point, it still showed all the data sources (View - Data Source) as being Excel.  Also, the option to make the app my own still was displayed.  I repeated this process and this time, it took longer AND it reloaded the app after doing so.  Then when I looked at the Data Sources, it showed them all pointed to OneDrive.

1Drive.jpg

Once that occured, I added a record and saved it and then I was able to find the data file in OneDrive under PowerApps, Service Desk unique folder name. 

1Drive2.jpg

If you still don't see it, I would repeat the entire process from the very beginning and make sure you see OneDrive in your data sources.

View solution in original post

Aaronk21234
Level: Powered On

Thanks.  I deleted and recreated the app.  Also, when first clicking "make it your own" it asked me if I wanted to save my changes and I chose "no."  After the app restarted, the data source was changed to OneDrive, and I can now see it in the app-specific powerapps/template folder.

PowerApps Staff Mr-Dang-MSFT
PowerApps Staff

It sounds like the issue here is that you've created a sample app and it did not connect to the data source you had selected (OneDrive). I am clarifying this thread's title to: "Sample App is not connecting to data source"

@LRVinNC, can you clarify a few more details about your experience. It sounds problematic for you as well.

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Super User
Super User

@Mr-Dang-MSFT 

I just did this again so I could screen capture and the same thing occured.  I clicked "Make my own app" and selected the first OneDrive connection (not sure why I have two).  It prompted me to save and selected save to cloud and clicked save.  

SD1.jpg

It did NOT reload the saved app, but instead just returned me to the screen I had left.  You can see in the image below that the button is still present and a check of data sources still shows Excel.

SD2.jpg

I clicked "Make your own app" again and selected the first connection again and this time, it immediately closed and reloaded the app without asking me to do anything else.  A check of data sources now showed it to be connected to OneDrive.  

SD3.jpg

It seems like it needs to force a reload after the new connection is established in order to pick up my own version. Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need anything further.

PowerApps Staff

When you have a moment, @LRVinNC , can you provide me a session id of this occurring? 

Super User
Super User

@Mr-Dang-MSFT Here you go... 

Session ID: 886ed9f4-ed9d-42f7-8e98-2bd20f1a6e71
PowerApps 3.19042.26

PowerApps Staff

Thanks @LRVinNC ,

I've attached the session id to #116583383.

PowerApps Staff

Hi @LRVinNC @Aaronk21234 ,

I've confirmed a fix on my side. Can you also confirm for me that this issue is resolved on yours?

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Confirmed.  The requisite data sources were created as soon as I clicked Make Your Own and I was able to add and retrieve a new ticket.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 296 members 2,995 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: