Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mark2457
Level: Powered On

Save other fields in excel form?

Hi All

I made a power app from excel data source. I have a camera control and two read only fields Username and LastEditDate. I want these to display User().FullName and Now(), when the user takes a picture and then have them update the columns in excel on submit form (there are a few edit fields on form)

Can't get the fileds to update ion screen (tried: UpdateContext({UserName: User().FullName, LastEditDate: Now()}), but they don;t update on screen or in excel

Any suugestions?

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Save other fields in excel form?

Hi @Mark2457 ,

We use the UpdateContext function to create a context variable, which temporarily holds a piece of information, such as the number of times the user has selected a button or the result of a data operation. 

To update records from PowerApps to your data source, we usually use SubmitForm(if you have the edit form here) or Patch function.

You can:

Set the Default property of these 2 columns' data cards to User().FullName and Now(), and then use SubmitForm function to update the record.

Or you can:

Use a formula like:

Spoiler
Patch(Table1,Defaults(Table1),{UserName: User().FullName, LastEditDate: Now()})

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mdevaney
Level 8

@Mark2457 

Can you please share a screenshot of your form and a screenshot of your Excel.

I think you might have some misunderstanding of the UPDATECONTEXT function which is used to change a value stored within a variable.  In general there are 2 ways to control what happens when a record is inserted into the datasource.

1. Update property of a DataCard within an EditForm
  2. PATCH function

If you can share those screenshots I've requested I'm sure the forum can help you out.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Mark2457 ,

We use the UpdateContext function to create a context variable, which temporarily holds a piece of information, such as the number of times the user has selected a button or the result of a data operation. 

To update records from PowerApps to your data source, we usually use SubmitForm(if you have the edit form here) or Patch function.

You can:

Set the Default property of these 2 columns' data cards to User().FullName and Now(), and then use SubmitForm function to update the record.

Or you can:

Use a formula like:

Spoiler
Patch(Table1,Defaults(Table1),{UserName: User().FullName, LastEditDate: Now()})

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Mark2457

Thanks Mona

I think I follow, but where do I run the Patch function? From the submit button, after "SubmitForm(EditForm1)"?

Regards

Mark

Mark2457

Here's a screen shot and the excel

PowerApps2.pngPowerApp1.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 341 members 6,523 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: