cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Saving Data to Sharepoints lists (VS) Excel on Onedrive

Hello Team,

Would you please suggest the best option to store data between Sharepoint lists and Excel on Onedrive.

Each month, ~ 3000 rows going to be added to datastorage of my application. I will be waiting for the pros and cons for both the datastorages.

Awaiting for the information.

Kind regards,

Naga

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Saving Data to Sharepoints lists (VS) Excel on Onedrive

Hi Nagaviswanath,

When using SharePoint list, we should know that not all types of columns are supported in PowerApps, and not all types of columns support all types of cards, moreover, PowerApps doesn't support columns that support multiple values or selection.

There are known issues when using SharePoint list,please check this documentation for a reference: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/connection-sharepoint-online/

When using Excel on OneDrive, there are also known limitations, we should format the Excel file as a table, and If your Excel data includes a calculated column, you can't use it to build an app, and you can’t add that data to an existing app.

Please check this link for more details:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/cloud-storage-blob-connections/

Best regards, 

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Mabel,

I am using all the single line text fields and 30+ users will just add entries every month of their time sheets. And i have already created an app from scratch. I just wanted to know whether Excel/sharepoint lists can handle 3000 rows/month and it increases to 3000 x 12 = 24000 for one year and so on.

How many rows does Sharepoint lists supports and are there any limitations regarding storage?Sharepoint_Lists.PNG

Does excel support to store data of 30+ users in a single excel file as we need to format the table in excel file to use.Excel-Data.PNG

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Nagaviswanath,

I haven't seen a related documentation about the storage limitation of SharePoint list/Eacel table.

I will try to confirm it from my side then back to you.

When using Excel file as data source, you will have to format the Excel file as a table so that you can use it as expected.

Best regards, 

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Mabel,

I have formatted the excel into a table called "table2" and it worked for me. When i shared the excel file(can edit) to another user, he is getting following error:

Excel_Table-error.PNG

Please let me know how could it be resolved.

Kind regards,

luuminhvuong93
Level: Powered On

@v-yamao-msft Have you found any thing ? I also have the same questions?

grovercorner2
Level: Powered On

bump. I am researching the same thing. Both excel in OneDrive for Business and Sharepoint work in my testing, but I'm wondering how well this will scale. What happens when muliple people use the PowerApp at the same time?

Anyone tried both and decided to use one over the other?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 179 members 5,950 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: