cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simms7400
Level 8

Search Multiple Columns - Text & Choice

Hi Folks -

I have a search box and galley set up on one of my form. I've also enabled it where the user can search multple fields as well. Here is my formula:

SortByColumns(
	Filter(rdAssets, 
		StartsWith(Alias, TextSearchBox4.Text) || 
		StartsWith(Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Target_x0020_Short_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Brand_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(PF_Research_Code, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Generic_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Development_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Alternate_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) && !(Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value="Terminated")), 
		"Alias", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending)
	)

It's currently sorted by "Alias" (which is a text field), however I need to add one more column to sort by : Portfolio_x0020_Status

The issue is the Portfolio_x0020_Status is a choice field and it's not liking any formula. Can somene give me some pointers on how to add Portfolio_x0020_Status to my above formula?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Search Multiple Columns - Text & Choice

@simms7400 

Give this a try:

SortByColumns(
	AddColumns(
Filter(rdAssets, StartsWith(Alias, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Target_x0020_Short_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Brand_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(PF_Research_Code, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Generic_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Development_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Alternate_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) && !(Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value="Terminated")
),
"txtPortfolioStatus", Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value), "Alias", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending),
"txtPortfolioStatus", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending) )

This will augment your results of your Filter table with an additional column, which is the value of the Portfolio Status column.  You can then use that added column in your sort.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @simms7400 

Use the Sort function

Sort( <filter condition>, Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value, <Ascending or Descending>)   

Regards,

Reza

Highlighted
simms7400
Level 8

@RezaDorrani 

Hi - thank you. but I need to do Alias and Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value.

? Thanks!

Super User
Super User

@simms7400 

Give this a try:

SortByColumns(
	AddColumns(
Filter(rdAssets, StartsWith(Alias, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Target_x0020_Short_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Brand_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(PF_Research_Code, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Generic_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Development_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) || StartsWith(Alternate_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) && !(Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value="Terminated")
),
"txtPortfolioStatus", Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value), "Alias", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending),
"txtPortfolioStatus", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending) )

This will augment your results of your Filter table with an additional column, which is the value of the Portfolio Status column.  You can then use that added column in your sort.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

simms7400
Level 8

@RandyHayes  Hi Randy -

As usual, youre a wizard! Worked like a charm. I switched the Portfolio_Status with Alias so it sorts Alias first, but all is good.

Thank you so much!

simms7400
Level 8

@RandyHayes  Actually, I  am running into an issue.

I applied this logic to my gallery,  per your suggestion.:

SortByColumns(
	AddColumns(
             Filter(rdAssets, 
		StartsWith(Alias, TextSearchBox4.Text) || 
		StartsWith(Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Target_x0020_Short_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Brand_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(PF_Research_Code, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Generic_x0020_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Development_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) ||
		StartsWith(Alternate_Name, TextSearchBox4.Text) && !(Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value="Terminated")
                    ), 
             "txtPortfolioStatus", Portfolio_x0020_Status.Value),
   "txtPortfolioStatus", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending),
   "Alias", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending)
)

However, one of my properites on my EditForm is not rendering now.  My Items property (AssetBrowseGallery.Selected) is now saying:

"Invalid Formula.  Expected a value compatible with DataSource."

Is this because I'm using the Portfolio_Status filter as well?

Super User
Super User

@simms7400 

Ah yes, you most likely have a Item property on the Form set to GalleryX.Selected

With the formula I provided, this will break those situations.

The quick fix is this on your Form Item property:

First(DropColumns(Table(Galleryx.Selected), "txtPortfolioStatus"))

That should resolve that.

simms7400
Level 8

@RandyHayes 

Hi Randy, thank you! Just tried your formula on my EditForm Item property and still getting same error.

Keep in mind, my Gallery and Edit form are two seperate things, does that matter? Thanks!

Super User
Super User

@simms7400 

So, your Gallery is based on rdAssets and your EditForm as well I assume.

What is your formula for your EditForm Item property?

simms7400
Level 8

@RandyHayes  Hi Randy,

my formula is the one you provided above for my Item property on my EditForm.   Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,095)