cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaWu
Level 8

Search does not work with Column Display Names

Please be so kind as to read my full post before responding.
Thank you for your consideration.

While trying to look for solutions to one issue with Sharepoint Column Display names
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Oddities-with-Sharepoint-Column-Names/m-p/284...
it appears to me as if Search simply does not work with Sharepoint Column Display names.
(Session ID: fc40d647-c2a3-44be-b66d-fe0fbf030254, PowerApps 3.19051.14)

Just using Column Display names to set properties directly, LookUp, Filter, seem all ok.

Some screenshots to demonstrate my issue:
image.png
As you can see there is a Sharepoint column "okzj" (which is kind of hard to get btw, very tedious especially for multiple columns) with Display Name "Autor".
Trying to use that column, and really use all syntax variations of "Autor" that I could think of, in the OnSelect event of a button yields:
image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

Re: Search does not work with Sharepoint Column Names

You must use the internal name, "okjz", not the display name. 

If you look at your very first search statement, you will see that you only received a delegation warning on that statement (the blue underline), not an error (a red underline).  If you will have large datasets (more than 2000 rows), you may need to resolve the delegation issue for the application to work correctly, but the search syntax of that statement is correct.

B.jpg

SaWu
Level 8

Re: Search does not work with Sharepoint Column Names

Thank you for your response @LRVinNC .
It made me aware that I had forgotten the word "Display".
My memory had told me that the Canvas App feature was "Use Column Names" thus leading me to (wrongly) use "Column Names" interchangeably with "Column Display Name"/"Display Name".
I will edit my post and title to reflect that I am confounded and complaining about PowerApps with default un-off-toggleable-column-display-name-on-feature (I prefer working with logical names, but only if there's an easy way to get them (e.g. CDS/Dynamics)) obviously has no support for column display names in the Search function.
image.png
If Display names are the default, they should be bloody supported everywhere.
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/display-names-and-guids-for-canvas-apps-graduate/

SaWu
Level 8

Re: Search does not work with Sharepoint Column Display Names

Some further testing seems to suggest that Column Display Names from CDS seem to equally not work with Search.
The problem is not restricted to Sharepoint

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

SaWu
Level 8

Hello.

Has anyone else, preferably with access to docs that I don't have, read this?
Anyone who knows something more or who can point me to the right direction?
Tagging some moderators just to possibly get a response:
@v-xida-msft@v-yuxima-msft@v-monli-msft

Thank you,
    Sa.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @SaWu , 

The error you are getting is because the column "Nachname" does not exist in the collection/ data source "Kontakte". 

Kindly check and confirm that this column exists in the data source. I just tried a similar scenario in my environment and it works. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (21).png

Here, I am having a collection with all the data in testcoll1 (this pulls the data from my cds) and I am creating a second collection with name coll2. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (22).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (23).png

You can verify the column name in the collections section too. 

Hope this Helps!

Thanks, 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

SaWu
Level 8

Please read my full posts before responding.
This includes checking what my screenshots depict.
Please also notice that "Nachname" appears several times working (!).

Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @SaWu ,

I actually went through the entire post before diving in but apparently made a mistake in the app formula. 

Please refer to the screenshots below: 

As we are using CDS the column name should be the logical name of the entity. In my case "Name" is the display name and "cr895_name" is the logical one. It works with the logical name. 

sss1.png

sss2.png

Hope this Helps. 

Thanks, 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

SaWu
Level 8

Hi @yashag2255 

Thank you for trying to help.
However, it seems you are not completely up-to-date anymore.
There has been a quite major change in March 2019.
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/display-names-and-guids-for-canvas-apps-graduate/

Yes, I know that logical names still work (without autocompletion support).
I was using them and showed using them in my original screenshots.
image.pngimage.png

But no, logical names are not the way to go anymore.
Thanks again @v-xida-msft for pointing this out to me originally here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/quot-Use-Column-Display-Names-quot-is-now-Ver...

Everything should (and must!) be working now with Column Display Names.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey!

Powerplatform as we know is vibrant platform with everything changing every now and then. On the community forum, folks focus on getting the problem solved no matter what the background story is. If it works it works until it does not and when it does not then is the time to check what has changed is what I folllow. So Happy if it worked for you and if not I will try and check what other options can be used as a continuous learning process irrespective of the solution being found at any stage. 

Thanks. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 122 members 5,457 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: