cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jernejp
Level: Powered On

Searchable combobox with large collection freezes application

Hi,

I'm building an application where the user has to select our company's business partner. I get the partner list from an API call, but the collection where I save it is extremely large.

So when I have a searchable combobox where the user can search for the business partner, it sometimes freezes the application, because the list is so long.

Is it possible to make the combobox wait for the user to input the first  (or first few) letters, before actually searching? 

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Searchable combobox with large collection freezes application

@jernejp 

In that case, please try to modify your expression as:
If(Len(ComboBox1.SearchText) > 2,Filter(<Filter Query arguments>))

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@jernejp 

For doing so, you can refer to below mentioned expression:

If(Len(ComboBox1.SearchText) > 2,Filter('PartnerList I',StartsWith(PartnerName, ComboBox1.SearchText)))
Here, PartnerList I refers to the name of DataSOurce and I am assuming PartnerName is the column that holds values for various partner name. Please replace the values in expression with actual attributes/control names.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @jernejp 

Can you modify your combobox items as:

If(Len(TextInput1.Text) > 2,Filter(<<FIlter Query Arguments>>))
This will only filter if two or more characters are entered in the textInput control.

Hope this Helps!

jernejp

Hi @yashag2255 

So if I understand correctly, I'd then have a text input and a combo box, and would use the text input to filter the combo box?

Can it all be done within the combobox? So that the combobox is empty untill user writes 2 characters, then the filtering query is executed?

Thanks

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@jernejp 

In that case, please try to modify your expression as:
If(Len(ComboBox1.SearchText) > 2,Filter(<Filter Query arguments>))

Hope this Helps!

jernejp

Hi @yashag2255, thanks for your answer.

How would I add a StartsWith function here? So if in my PartnerList I have a number of comapnies, and the user inputs "pa", it would search for all partners that begin with PA? 

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@jernejp 

For doing so, you can refer to below mentioned expression:

If(Len(ComboBox1.SearchText) > 2,Filter('PartnerList I',StartsWith(PartnerName, ComboBox1.SearchText)))
Here, PartnerList I refers to the name of DataSOurce and I am assuming PartnerName is the column that holds values for various partner name. Please replace the values in expression with actual attributes/control names.

Hope this Helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 370 members 6,555 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: