cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iotc
Level: Powered On

Selection in Browse Gallery does not work properly with Improved App Rendering (iOS)

Hi, I have a number of Browse Galleries in my app that stop selecting properly when I turn on Improved App Rendering. This happens in iOS but not in Studio. Please could I get assistance in solving this.

Additional info: My app connects to views and tables in SQL Azure. The BrowseGallery TemplateFill code is =If(ThisItem.IsSelected, Orange, RGBA(0, 0, 0, 0)). Turning Improved App Rendering on or off and then saving and republishing the app has no effect unless some minor coding change is also made in the app before saving.

With Thanks - Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

Re: Selection in Browse Gallery does not work properly with Improved App Rendering (iOS)

The fixes have been deployed in January. If you experience the same issues, let us know. If there are any new issues, please start a new thread so that it will gain awareness from others.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

Re: Selection in Browse Gallery does not work properly with Improved App Rendering (iOS)

Hi @iotc, which iOS version are you using? Others havereported the same problem and claimed that they have to touch another control first before they can start scrolling the gallery. Does that work for you?

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @iotc,

Could you please share a bit more about the issue within your app?
The user @unkleal21 has faced similar issue with you, please check my response within the following thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Creating-Apps/SQL-Views-based-collections-are-not-showing-up-aft...

Please take a try to turn off/disable the "Delayed load" option and "Explicit column selection" option within the Advanced settings of App settings, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
iotc

Hi Tahoon and Kris Thank you for taking the time to respond

>>which iOS version are you using? iOS 12.0 on an iPhone6 Plus. I will try testing on Android and report back

>>Others have reported the same problem and claimed that they have to touch another control first before they can start scrolling the gallery. Does that work for you? Yes and no. Yes, because touching another control in the screen does allow the item to be selected. For example I can select the item in the Browse Gallery then touch the Search Icon for the item to then become selected. Then select another item and touch the Search icon again. Also, after a few minutes of freezing, it seems to work fine. No, this doesn't work for me because it isn't how I want my app to work!

>>Do you save the SQL Viewer data into a Collection within your app? I am not using a collection because of delegation issues. I have about 22 000 records in the backend table which this particular gallery is linked to. The Items formula on my Browse Gallery is: Search(Filter('[dbo].[vw_Household]',fkOrganisationID=g_User.fkOrganisationID), TextSearchBox_hh.Text,"SearchColumn") However, I noticed that one of my galleries was still saving to a collection. Removing this code did not seem to change the behavior.

>>Please also take a try to turn off/disable the "Delayed load" option. This seems to have no effect.

>>If the issue still exists, please also take a try to turn off the "Explicit column selection" option. This is already off

So the problem still seems to be only with the "Improved app rendering (final validation)" option. I noticed that after some time (a few minutes), the gallery begins to behave normally and the search on 22 000 records is much faster with Improved app rendering on. Its as if the gallery freezes while downloading the entire dataset somewhere and then starts working properly.

iotc

The reported issue does not occur in Android 7.1
PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

Thanks @iotc for the detailed information. It helps us narrow down the cause.

A few more questions:

1. How many items are typically in the gallery when the search input is blank? You mentioned that Gallery.Items=Search(Filter('[dbo].[vw_Household]',fkOrganisationID=g_User.fkOrganisationID), TextSearchBox_hh.Text,"SearchColumn")
  2. What controls are in the gallery? For example, combo box, label, button, checkbox, etc.
  3. Which gallery are you using? Is it a vertical, horizontal, or flexible height gallery?
  4. Is the gallery inside a scrollable screen or another control like a form or another gallery?
iotc

How many items are typically in the gallery when the search input is blank? About 100. When I scroll to the end of the list, more are loaded
What controls are in the gallery? For example, combo box, label, button, checkbox, etc.  The controls are all labels (Title, sub-title, body 1 and body 2) with separators. I have a screenshot below (names have been blanked out). At the login screen of the app all the combo boxes are loaded into collections, but there are no combo boxes in the gallery.

Untitled.png
Which gallery are you using? Is it a vertical, horizontal, or flexible height gallery? The gallery is vertical, fixed height, width=parent.width. 
Is the gallery inside a scrollable screen or another control like a form or another gallery?  The gallery is inside a Browse Screen. 

PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

Got it. This is super-useful information that will help us diagnose the issue. I will update the thread when we have a fix.

iotc

Much appreciated - thank you
PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

Update: a number of gallery fixes in iOS have been released. Give it a try to see if the problem still occurs.

Note that there is a known issue for this scenario:

• Gallery.OnSelect contains an expression that refers to Gallery.Selected
  • A child control has OnSelect=Parent.OnSelect
  • Clicking on the child control will perform the action in Gallery.OnSelect. However, Gallery.Selected will not be set to the current item yet.

Fix for the above will be ready in January.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 131 members 5,340 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: