Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Digit89
Level: Powered On

Set CRM Dynamics Lookup data type error

Hello dear community,

I have some trouble to get something relatively basic working. I want to insert in D365 CRM a new record in a custom entity, setting 2 fields : a lookup (related ID) and an optionset value hardcoded (10000001).

Here is how first I get the info needed :

Collect(MyCollection;{
Var1: MyFunction();
ContactId: Search(
'CustomContact';
MyFunction();
"cc_customcontactid")})

And here is how I'm trying to patch

Patch('Check-ins';Defaults('Check-ins');{
cc_MyLookupId:MyCollection.cc_customcontactid;
cc_customtype:Value("10000001")})

I'm getting the error (in french): The type of this argument "cc_MyLookupId" does not match the expected "Record". Type found "Table".

I tried to find some info on google but with no results. Thanks for your advices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Set CRM Dynamics Lookup data type error

Hi @Digit89,

I don't agree with the formula that you provided.

If there is Lookup column called cc_Contact within your 'Check-ins' entity, when you want to use this column within a PowerApps app, it would not be shown up as cc_Contact. Instead, this column would be separated into cc_Contact_type property and cc_Contact_value property.

I have made a test on my side, there is a Lookup column called countryname wihtin my Dynamics 365 entity, when I reference this column within my app, it would be separated into _new_countryname_value and _new_countryname_type:6.JPG

So if you want to provide a value for the Lookup column within the Patch function that you mentioned, please modify your formula as below:

Patch(
'Check-ins';
Defaults('Check-ins'); { cc_Contact_value:'6c118935-xxxx-e811-xxxx-70106fa93fc1' }
)

or

Patch(
'Check-ins';
Defaults('Check-ins'); { _new_cc_Contact_value:'6c118935-xxxx-e811-xxxx-70106fa93fc1' }
)

Note: The '6c118935-xxxx-e811-xxxx-70106fa93fc1' represents the primary GUID of the entity the Lookup column (cc_Contact) reference values from.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Digit89,

Could you please show more details about the error message within your app?

Could you please share a  bit more about the MyFunction() that you mentioned?

The error message told that the cc_MyLookupId column within your "Check-ins" custom entity is required to provide a record value, the formula MyCollection.cc_customcontactid return a table value.

I think there is something wrong with the formula that you provided, and I assume that you want to filter only one record (unique one record) using the Search function. I have made a test, please take a try with the following workaround:

Modify your Patch function as below:

Patch(
'Check-ins';
Defaults('Check-ins');
{ cc_MyLookupId:First(MyCollection.cc_customcontactid); cc_customtype:Value("10000001")
}
)

or

Patch(
   'Check-ins';
    Defaults('Check-ins');
    {
     cc_MyLookupId:First(MyCollection.ContactId.cc_customcontactid);
     cc_customtype:Value("10000001")
    }
)

More detaisl about the First function, Search function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

First function

Search function

Best regards,

Kris

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Digit89

Dear Kris,

Thanks for your answer. In all my tests I tried to wrap the code into a FORALL(), to patch all records of my collection, with no success.

Also, in the function reference, it's explicitly written here that you can give a table as argument:

Patch( DataSource, BaseRecordsTable, ChangeRecordTable1, [, ChangeRecordTable2, … ] )

That's why I was confused. I'm still not understanding how you can push i.e. a collection of 10 records by clicking 1 button. You are wring thinkning I want to push only 1 record, I want to push ALL the records that are inside my collection.

Digit89

It's me again. This topic shouldn't be marked as resolved.

Now I think I understood something, when it says the type should be a Record, I think it waits something like :

Patch('Check-ins';Defaults('Check-ins');
{
    cc_Contact:
    {
        Value:ccontact_value;
        Id:ccontact_id
    };
}

The problem is there is absolutely no sample on the net nor references about that.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Digit89,

I don't agree with the formula that you provided.

If there is Lookup column called cc_Contact within your 'Check-ins' entity, when you want to use this column within a PowerApps app, it would not be shown up as cc_Contact. Instead, this column would be separated into cc_Contact_type property and cc_Contact_value property.

I have made a test on my side, there is a Lookup column called countryname wihtin my Dynamics 365 entity, when I reference this column within my app, it would be separated into _new_countryname_value and _new_countryname_type:6.JPG

So if you want to provide a value for the Lookup column within the Patch function that you mentioned, please modify your formula as below:

Patch(
'Check-ins';
Defaults('Check-ins'); { cc_Contact_value:'6c118935-xxxx-e811-xxxx-70106fa93fc1' }
)

or

Patch(
'Check-ins';
Defaults('Check-ins'); { _new_cc_Contact_value:'6c118935-xxxx-e811-xxxx-70106fa93fc1' }
)

Note: The '6c118935-xxxx-e811-xxxx-70106fa93fc1' represents the primary GUID of the entity the Lookup column (cc_Contact) reference values from.

Best regards,

Kris

View solution in original post

Digit89

Kris,

That's it. Finally got it working. I'm sure this post will help other members of the community.

Thank you !

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 328 members 5,601 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: