cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t3ch3
Level: Power Up

SharePoint Canvas App 'Created By' and 'Modified By' do not show contextual user.

I'm creating forms in PowerApps for SharePoint Online, but the 'created by' and 'modified by' of the list items always shows the user credentials used in the connection.  Surely there is a way to show the contextual user (the user ACTUALLY completing the form).  It's extremely frustrating to me that this is a thing.  I understand needing connectors for integrations but not allowing the ability to pass contextual users to metadata is dumbfounding.  This is how forms have always worked.

Short of creating custom fields and populating them manually, does anybody have any ideas on how to bypass this ridiculous functionality?

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: SharePoint Canvas App 'Created By' and 'Modified By' do not show contextual user.

@t3ch3 

This should not be the defaul behavior

PowerApps runs all its connections under the context of the logged in user

Are you customizing SharePoint forms using PowerApps or creating a Standalone App or posting data using Flow?

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Super User
Super User

Re: SharePoint Canvas App 'Created By' and 'Modified By' do not show contextual user.

I just checked a few of my PowerApps Forms that use SharePoint and the created by and modified by are the people who created or modified the data in the PowerApp. 

Are other users seeing this issue on different devices or is this happening when the same device is used but with different accounts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @t3ch3 ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Currently, when customizing a form via PowerApps from a SP list or generating a canvas app based on the SP list, the "Created By" field and "Modified By" field would be populated automatically by SP Server based on current login user/sign in user (based on current sign in user's credential), rather than the contextual user that you mentioned.

If you want the "Created By" field and "Modified By" field of your SP List to be populated with contextual user that you mentioned, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Vsolano1
Level: Power Up

Hi @t3ch3,

I am currently working on an App and need that when a new record is created, the “Created by Column” alway shows the user credentials used in the conection(the owner of the powerapp), instada of the actual personnwho create that specific record- exactly what you are getting.
Colud you please guide me to know how this is possible?

Thank you in advance!
Verónica

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,553)