cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juresti
Level 8

Re: SharePoint Delegation with simple Filter on Text

Hello,

I'm using a gallery in my post to do display the items without delegation affecting them.

The drop down control does not support this.

I think you could build a gallery into a pop up to use as a select list. If you needed to select multiple items at once it would require a little more work.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You are misunderstanding what the author is saying about changing the non-delegable setting.  Changing that setting will limit the maximum number of rows returned to whatever you change it to.  So if you set it to two you will only ever get two rows.  What the author of the article is suggesting is that changing that setting to something very low is a good way to check whether you have a delegation problem or not.  It is not a workaround for non-delegation.  There is no workaround for non-delegation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
SPA
Level: Powered On

I really do apologize for being slow to grasp a "simple" concept, but your post highlights the source of my confusion, @Pstork1

My understanding is that the setting limits returned matches to 1 ONLY IF the filter is Non-Delegable, but if the filter is delegable, then that limit would not be imposed (i.e., we'd be back to the 500 matches limit). In that case, it makes sense to set the setting to 1 so I would confirm delegation, by getting back more than one match (as per @juresti's post). After all, the setting tip says "Set how many rows are retrieved ... where delegation is not supported"

If the setting limits both delegated and non-delegated results returned as per your post ("...if you set it to two you will only ever get two rows..."), then why did @juresti 's post show a different result, and why would the MSFT Documentation suggest use of a setting of 1 to test delegation? I understand the setting does not get around Non-Delegation, but the filter I'm using should be delegable, and I ahould get all 5 matches even if the setting limits Non-Delegable results to 1. 

Where have I gone wrong in my thinking?

SPA

@juresti I will try changing to a gallery as you suggest

Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

In the situation in the article that would be a correct understanding.  The problem is that when populating a dropdown through binding there is no delegation at all.  So you will always be limited to the non-delegable rate if you are populating a dropdown.  That's why @juresti is suggesting you switch to a gallery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

SPA

And THAT is what I needed to understand! I appreciate all the other posts and links (and will use the suggestions), but I hadn't heard the 500 limit using a DropDown was forcing delegation. Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't realize that. This information explains WHY I was having the issue and that's why I marked as the Solution. I would like to thank @juresti and @mdevaney for their help in understanding HOW to overcome the issue. And thank you all for your patience while I sussed it all out. 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,840)