Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MJKjoachim
Level: Powered On

SharePoint list column not recognized by Powerapps

Dear all,

I just migrated my DB from an Excel file to Sharepoint list as it seems much more flexible and powerful than Excel (image support, etc.).

I am currently modifiying my app to use Sharepoint list source instead of Excel and it seems (at least) 1 column from 1 source is not listed with the column name (which is "CustomerID") as you can see below.

image.png

I already read This thread which is roughly talking about the same problem.

The sharepoint list internal column name seems to be used by Powerapps instead of column name.

In my URL column settings page, it is finishing by "Title" instead "CustomerID"

image.png

Is there any way to modify this field name ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: SharePoint list column not recognized by Powerapps

You're welcome - the first column created in a blank SharePoint list is Title, so it will rename the Title field to your column name then create the other named columns after that.

I would manually create the SharePoint lists if you have the ability to, as this way you can set the Title field to 'not required' and then create specific columns for all of your fields, so that they will all have the correct name when referenced. It might be a bit more work especially if migrating from Excel, but I think in the long run and for code readability it's definitely worth it - I hated having to remember (and write down) what each Title column referenced with each list.

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Hi @MJKjoachim 

There's no way to edit the internal name for a column, however you should be able to use the display name when referencing it.

I wrote an older post describing SharePoint columns, but the short version is there are three names SharePoint uses, and the internal once set is never changed (its how SharePoint knows which field you're talking about)

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Field-name-size-limit/m-p/178748#M59197

Cheers,

ManCat

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
MJKjoachim

Thank you @iAm_ManCat for your information !

Do you know why the 1st column internal name of each of my sharepoint list is named "Title" instead of the display name (which is the case for all others columns) ?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MJKjoachim ,

Do you rename the Title column in your SP List into "CustomerID"?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test, and the issue is confirmed on my side. I think your thought is right, PowerApps use internal column name of a SP list as referenced column instead of the Display name.

Even though, you rename the column name within your SP list, SP List would still use the first name you set for the field as internal column rather than the renamed one.

If you want to use Display name as referenced column within a PowerApps app, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please consider submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

You're welcome - the first column created in a blank SharePoint list is Title, so it will rename the Title field to your column name then create the other named columns after that.

I would manually create the SharePoint lists if you have the ability to, as this way you can set the Title field to 'not required' and then create specific columns for all of your fields, so that they will all have the correct name when referenced. It might be a bit more work especially if migrating from Excel, but I think in the long run and for code readability it's definitely worth it - I hated having to remember (and write down) what each Title column referenced with each list.

View solution in original post

MJKjoachim

Thank you to both of you for your kind help !

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 235 members 4,954 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: