Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ian004
Level: Powered On

Sharepoint and Powerapps

Hi,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I am an owner of a small business and want to make use of the Microsoft Office tools.  I am especially interested in using Sharepoint and Powerapps to start creating a foundation that will scale as the business grows and adds new people. 

I am not an IT guy but have always been very proficient in teaching myself complicated new software (example Photoshop), I have also done things like teach myself the basics of VB so I could create my own macros, etc in Excel.  Sharepoint & Powerapps seems to have me stumped - it seems that a lot of it isn't very intuitive to me.

My question is two-fold - I see that MS says that Sharepoint and Powerapps are accessible to non-developers - is this true or really only true once someone skilled has set everything up.  

For example, I have spent a fair amount of time over the last couple days trying to create a form connected to a sharepoint list that could be run from a phone in order for someone to submit receipts for expenses.  The list works and the form on sharepoint works fine but the form 'app' that I created to embed in another sharepoint site and to have accessible on a phone or tablet doesn't work.... just sits saying gathering data.

Can anyone recomend a web based tutorial that is geared to small business and non-technical individuals that is fairly indepth but in plain english...  I'd prefer free, until I figure out if this is right for me, but I don't mind paying a little.   I tried to find some in person courses in my city (Calgary) but couldn't find anything that seemed legit.

Basically I am trying to figure out if I should just stick with Slack, Trello and Dropbox until big enough to hire an IT guy.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
also_wyotim
Level: Power Up

Re: Sharepoint and Powerapps

As a person who develops PowerApps for a small business, I can say that SharePoint and PowerApps are geared towards "power users" (less technical users with business knowledge). That said, the learning curve is pretty brutal. While there are similarities to Excel, there is a bit of a paradigm shift that needs to happen to really get into the mindset of the tools.

It took me weeks to get my first app out and there were a lot of bumps and bruises along the way. That said, once I got over the initial learning curve and started to get what PowerApps is into my brain, it was much easier. In fact, just Friday I made a quick PowerApp for someone at work rather than making an Excel Pivot Table-based tool to get some data for an audit they were doing. I am a couple years in, so it took time but the benefits are pretty amazing. 

As far as your app, if you would like to share more about how you made it and maybe the OnStart code from the home screen I would be happy to try and troubleshoot it with you. Also, I did a quick search and there is a Power Platform user group in Calgary, which could be a good place to meet people using PowerApps and learn a bit too. 

As I said, the learning curve is pretty steep but there is so much potential in what Microsoft offers. It has made a huge difference in the company I work for. Feel free to message or tag me directly if I can assist with anything further (@wyotim [work account] and @also_wyotim [personal account]). 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
also_wyotim

As a person who develops PowerApps for a small business, I can say that SharePoint and PowerApps are geared towards "power users" (less technical users with business knowledge). That said, the learning curve is pretty brutal. While there are similarities to Excel, there is a bit of a paradigm shift that needs to happen to really get into the mindset of the tools.

It took me weeks to get my first app out and there were a lot of bumps and bruises along the way. That said, once I got over the initial learning curve and started to get what PowerApps is into my brain, it was much easier. In fact, just Friday I made a quick PowerApp for someone at work rather than making an Excel Pivot Table-based tool to get some data for an audit they were doing. I am a couple years in, so it took time but the benefits are pretty amazing. 

As far as your app, if you would like to share more about how you made it and maybe the OnStart code from the home screen I would be happy to try and troubleshoot it with you. Also, I did a quick search and there is a Power Platform user group in Calgary, which could be a good place to meet people using PowerApps and learn a bit too. 

As I said, the learning curve is pretty steep but there is so much potential in what Microsoft offers. It has made a huge difference in the company I work for. Feel free to message or tag me directly if I can assist with anything further (@wyotim [work account] and @also_wyotim [personal account]). 

View solution in original post

also_wyotim

I forgot to mention: simply searching "PowerApps" or "PowerApps tutorial" on YouTube will net a good amount of videos for getting started. I have learned tons there! And many of the people making those videos are on these forums to boot. 

iamlee
Level 8

I am a non-IT person as well but with pretty good technical background and good business knowledge. I have deployed several apps now within my company and have trained several experts to build basic app. I started with a book and then combined with documentation available online. The thought process is what I always explain when I train my colleagues, start with a data model (i.e a simple table) and from there learn on as needed basis. Example, start with a simple form and then you might figure out eventually you need a dynamic drop down menu. You can then just google how to make a dynamic drop down menu. PowerApps and SharePoint, I'm quite positive will address your need. A SharePoint list can handle 30 million items (compared to Excel's limit of 1 million lines), you can then use PowerApps for data capture. I've trained quite a few colleagues, some pick it up and some have no clue what I'm talking about. It does require some basic systems thinking skills and mathematical skills, as you'll need to be familiar with several 'formulas' or in my view are actually computer commands.
Jrldscrpz
Level: Powered On

I am an undergraduate of BSIT but it took me a month to finish my first application. I really am adjusting on everything, it really is hard when you are starting. But you can watch some video tutorial of Shane Young on Youtube. I learn a lot from him, also some documentations from Microsoft. When you get the basics, tips and tricks you can do it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,080)