cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gavinleung
Level 8

Sharepoint list index or not ?

Hi folks, 

I am having an app reading and writing to a Sharepoint list. The list is getting larger and larger (now 2000 records, antipating over 50,000 or more) in the same pace of the rollout. Before it's too late, I'm considering whether or not to apply an index to the Sharepoint list to improve the reading performance as my app is to read more frequently than write to the list. 

I have a filter query in the app filering these fields:

- Title

- Person

- DateInText (a text field containing a date to solve the delegation issue)

Do you have any advice on whether applying index? If so, which column should the index be applied on?

Thanks,

Gavin

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Sharepoint list index or not ?

Hi @gavinleung 

100%

all columns being filtered or sorted on in the PowerApp should be indexed in SP

You can create upto 20 indexes per list/library and indexes cannot be added/deleted once your list hits 20k items

Check my vlog series on delegation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiErbYtRdA

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

gavinleung
Level 8

Thanks @RezaDorrani . I read some articles saying that adding index may not be beneficial sometimes, like more storage required, slow writing speed. So if I to add an index, I think I should add the most efficient one. 

Do you have any idea or advice whether I shall create a simple index of a column or a compound index ? 

gavinleung
Level 8

Any advice from anyone ? 

Highlighted
Jinman
Level: Powered On

@gavinleung 

Having indexes on your SP list would earn more benefits than making INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE transactions slow.

Please review if you really need 2000 records for non-delegable operations. Reducing Data Row Limits to 500 from 2000 would improve performance obviously, benchmark proved min 20% of performance gain at P99 percentile.

If your SharePoint list has many columns which might not be neccessary all of them, you can also create a view in sharepoint and use Flow to retrieve sharepoint view data. This would reduce the amout of retrieving data out of SharePoint list.

For long-term, considering other data sources like CDS would be recommended.

Please feel free to share a SessionId or AppId of your app with mentioning me. Then, I would check telemetry. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 334 members 5,597 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: