Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Superman
Level: Powered On

Slow to load

Hi everybody,

Looking for feedback from other users regarding how PowerApps load.

In my example, I small XL file on my onedrive, created a sample app based on that and then loaded it up from my IPhone.

It can take up to 1 min to load and the content is only text and a couple of photos.

Is there a way like in Project Sienna when you can install the app locally with an option to update?

Appreciate any ideas people may have in this space.

Looking forward to contributing too

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff rc
PowerApps Staff

Re: Slow to load

Hi Superman! Great to have you here.

App load times are priority #1 for our current performance improvement work, you should see improvement here over the next several releases.

RE: saving locally, you can indeed do this and it will improve that loading time after the first time you open an app. In PowerApps Studio, just tap the "i" on any app you haven't yet downloaded and look for the "download" icon. On PowerApps Mobile, tap the ellipses on the right of any app tile and do the same.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PowerApps Staff rc
PowerApps Staff

Hi Superman! Great to have you here.

App load times are priority #1 for our current performance improvement work, you should see improvement here over the next several releases.

RE: saving locally, you can indeed do this and it will improve that loading time after the first time you open an app. In PowerApps Studio, just tap the "i" on any app you haven't yet downloaded and look for the "download" icon. On PowerApps Mobile, tap the ellipses on the right of any app tile and do the same.

View solution in original post

Aswet

Startup performance is still bad. Both loading the app and after the app has loaded, getting the data. In my small app loading takes 15 sec and refreshing data another 15 sec. Connecting to four Sharepoint online lists.
Hope you can fix the performance or provide some optimization tips.
mr-dang
Level 10

I store my images on Google Drive and made a table with their URLs. You can host them publicly for free using this method:

http://www.komku.org/2013/08/how-to-host-javascript-or-css-files-on-google-drive.html

Load times are not instant, but you should see an improvement.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Aswet

Thanks mr dang, but I only have two small logos on one of my screens and performance seems to be the same across screens. Therefore I doubt it is pictures that lead to the poor performance in my app. I have noticed that reducing number of items in my lists reflects somewhat on the performance. Though I only have 20-30 records at the most currently. I am using filter on the galleries to show valid records.
Steelman70
Level 10

If you have SharePoint Online, then you should experiment with storing your data in an Access Web App (which is one of the apps available in SharePoint Online).

I find performance is acceptable even with >10,000 records.

However, you cannot consume the data easily in SharePoint itself, except within the Access Web App.

KProuty

One of the reasons I like to store the data in Sharepoint, is that I have editors who can use the Sharepoint interface to update the data when needed. Asking these folks (who are caregivers) to learn another interface is pushing it. (They can make small changes in the app, but it is too complicated to add new items, pictures, in the app itself. We use Sharepoint for this.)

I technically don't have to have the final app reach into the cloud to get the data. I could do that on a release shedule. I've enlarged the buttons, but I think the delay in getting an item display view is that it actually pulls the data from the cloud at that time. I'm starting to read all of the performance threads to try to figure out the best way to optimize after we get out of alpha and onto beta.

GOBS

I work on a little trombinoscope and Yes it's very slow to load with SharePoint Online data source, hope this will be improved quickly ... or it will be unusable.

marcoth66

The loading time is absolutely a no go!

Takes a long time to load the powerapps app and then again for the app itself.

If microsoft won't do anything against I'll switch to my own applications programming...

Also it's a mess that you can't get a direct acces to the microsoft support.

aruntd77

I agree, even in my case also it takes ages to load data. I connect to Dynamics 365 Online. I am also having performance issue while saving App after making a small change. I was so excited to build PowerApps application, but now I am forced to go for custom mobile app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,738)