cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yichingjc
Level: Powered On

Sort Month Name in Dropdown

I have a dropdown that filters from a CDS datasource on Date. I have converted from showing 11/2019 to be Nov 2019.  How can I sort the dropdown to based on Month instead of alphabetically.  See attachment. 

My filter formula: Sort(Distinct(Filter('Time Entries',msdyn_bookableresource.'Primary Email'=CurrentUser.Email),Text(msdyn_date,"[$-en-US]mmm") & " " & Text(msdyn_date,"[$-en-US]yyyy")),Result)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Sort Month Name in Dropdown

@yichingjc 

Have you tried my suggestion or are you just assuming it won't work?  I tested the idea on a small Collection of test data and it appears to work just fine.

Distinct(
    Sort(
        Filter('Time Entries',msdyn_bookableresource.'Primary Email'=CurrentUser.Email),
        msdyn_date
    ),
    Text(msdyn_date,"[$-en-US]mmm") & " " & Text(msdyn_date,"[$-en-US]yyyy"))
)

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

@yichingjc 

Your functions are currently nested like this:

• Sort
  • Distinct
  • Filter

Have you tried nesting them in this order instead?  My thought is the date should be sorted before it is converted to text by the 2nd argument of DISTINCT 

• Distinct
  • Sort
  • Filter

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

yichingjc

@mdevaney  I need to sort the dropdown by Month name = Nov 2019, Dec 2019, Jan 2020, Feb 2020, Mar 2020 etc.  Using sort and sortbyColumn you can only do ascending or descending. 

Super User
Super User

@yichingjc 

Have you tried my suggestion or are you just assuming it won't work?  I tested the idea on a small Collection of test data and it appears to work just fine.

Distinct(
    Sort(
        Filter('Time Entries',msdyn_bookableresource.'Primary Email'=CurrentUser.Email),
        msdyn_date
    ),
    Text(msdyn_date,"[$-en-US]mmm") & " " & Text(msdyn_date,"[$-en-US]yyyy"))
)

---

View solution in original post

yichingjc

@mdevaney I did try it. but I think my sorting was incorrect that's why it didn't work.  But yours did. Thank you! 

Super User
Super User

@yichingjc 

Good to see its working now!

yichingjc

@mdevaney I have another question on relating to Dropdown default.  I've used your code I'm able to sort by month (thanks) see screenshots.  Is it possible to set the Default to be the current month?

Super User
Super User

@yichingjc 

You could likely change the Default property of the ComboBox to this code.

Text(Today(),"mmm yyyy")

---

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,733)