cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wedwards
Level: Powered On

StartsWith -- “The requested operation is invalid"

How do we filter using StartsWith for multiple conditions, while maintaining the ability to see beyond 500 items in the gallery?

I am having challenges with executing a query where I have more than one condition using StartsWith.  Originally, I thought it was just using the || operator but I saw the same with the && operator.

The error message when there are multiple conditions using StartsWith is “The requested operation is invalid. Server Response: The query is not valid.” 

I set the Items property of the Gallery.  Here is the original query

Operation Invalid.jpgThe requested operation is invalid

After having taking the query down to its simplest form, I see the problem still exits.

Individually, these queries are valid (ugvl is a test field)

Filter(TestList, StartsWith( UserDisplayName, TextSearchBox1.Text ) )

Filter(TestList, ugvl = "1" )

However together, they are considered not valid

Filter(TestList, StartsWith( UserDisplayName, TextSearchBox1.Text ) || ugvl = "1" )

Simple StartsWith Test - Operation Invalid.jpgSimplified Query

In the simplification, the query appears to fail, however if you execute it, it actually does work, provided there is input in TextSearchBox1.Text. Note, this is not required when StartsWith(…) is the only condition.

Now, this can be overcome but at a much higher level of complexity in the query by using IF and IsBlank

SortByColumns( If(IsBlank(TextSearchBox1.Text),TestList,Filter(TestList,StartsWith( GivenName, TextSearchBox1.Text ) || StartsWith( SurName, TextSearchBox1.Text ) )),"UserDisplayName", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

Complex StartsWith Test - Operation Invalid.jpgAlmost Works Correctly 

This appears to work perfectly on the surface, albeit with more complexity, however, once you add IF and IsBlank, the item gallery visibility is decreased back to 500 items.  You can no longer scroll to see items past 500.

It may be considered that seeing items beyond 500 is insignificant, however from a user’s perspective, if you scroll or sort the list and items are missing, this is definitely major.

So what is it that I am not considering? How might we filter using StartsWith on multiple conditions, while maintaining the ability to see beyond 500 items in the gallery?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
wedwards
Level: Powered On

Re: StartsWith -- “The requested operation is invalid"

I forgot to mention, I am using a SharePoint list as my source of data, which has greater than 500 items but less than 1,000.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,164)