cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tilcoating
Level: Powered On

StartsWith delegation not working on file attributes (SharePoint document library)

Hi all,

I'm trying to filter a SharePoint Document Library on StartsWith. Works fine, if I use a column name.
But I cannot get it to work on a file attibute. It keeps giving me a delegation warning.

Filter(Orders;StartsWith(Title;TextInput1.Text))
this works fine

Filter(Orders;StartsWith('{FilenameWithExtension}';TextInput1.Text)
this gives a delegation warning.

Orders being a SharePoint Document Library.

Any ideas?
Thanks,

Jack

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: StartsWith delegation not working on file attributes (SharePoint document library)

@Tilcoating

Can you try to do your StartsWith against the Name column instead?  I don't believe that the "FilenameWithExtension" column really exists and so is going to cause a problem with Delegtion.

I hope that is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Tilcoating

Re: StartsWith delegation not working on file attributes (SharePoint document library)

Hi Randy,

Same result, blue dots:
Filter(Orders;StartsWith('{Name}';TextInput1.Text))

Jack

Super User
Super User

@Tilcoating 

That's strange...I'm not seeing that here:

Tilcoating.png

You might try one other thing...change your column in the formula to Name rather than '{Name}' - I realize this will not come up as you type, but it is a valid column name and it will not give you an error when you put it in.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Tilcoating

Hi Randy,

Tried Name as well as the Dutch equivalent Naam.

Name gives even an error. Naam gives the same blue dots...

Unfortunately there are over 10.000 entries in my library.

Thank you for your input.

Jack

Super User
Super User

@Tilcoating 

Ugggg...so totally sorry about that.  I just looked over at my example from an app that I have (which is where I took the screen shot from).  I just realized that docs in that formula was a Collection!!  Not the data source.  

I replaced the collection name with the actual datasource name and I saw blue dots as well.

So, I believe that the Name column is the same issue as the FilenameWithExtension - they are both derived columns.  They don't really exist in the list, so, SharePoint has to create them when an item is requested.  These type of columns cannot be used in delegated formulas.

So, one possible workaround is to establish a real column with that information.  You could have a ActualFileName column in the list and use Flow to populate it with the information you need.

Since you have an existing library with over 10k items in it, you could set up a flow to go through all the existing and populate this new column.  Then for new, you could set a flow on item creation to populate that column.

Then, you can use your StartsWith on the ActualFileName column without an issue.

Sorry about the error on my part before.

Tilcoating

Hi Randy,

No worries.

That in fact is the solution that I'm using right now. Although the flow isn't reliable enough for me: it misses some entries.

The flow looks foor new entries and changes in the directory and puts the filename in the Title attribute.

I understand that I'm dwelling off topic now, but the way I populate the SharePoint directory is through syncing a local directory. Perhaps there is the source of the problems.

Anyway, thanks for the enlightment. I really don't get it why a simple (delegated) filter on filename is so difficult. Looks basic to me.

Jack

Super User
Super User

@Tilcoating 

Yeah, it's not an easy one to deal with as the file information is subsequent to the list. It isn't really stored in a field that can be filtered observing delegation issues.  

If I come across anything I'll be sure to post back for you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 321 members 6,397 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: