cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rfla
Level 10

StartsWith filter not working when using the || (or) operator: The query is not valid

Started out with a SortByColumns, no stripped down to only filter to find the issue. But cant see whats wrong.

Filter(Source; StartsWith(Title; TextSearchBox1.Text) || StartsWith(Title2; TextSearchBox1.Text))

I have also tried this:

Filter(Source; (StartsWith(Title; TextSearchBox1.Text) || StartsWith(Title2; TextSearchBox1.Text)))

I copied the example from this page:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/function-startswith/

Filter( Customers, StartsWith( Name, SearchInput.Text ) || StartsWith( Company, SearchInput.Text ) )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: StartsWith filter not working when using the || (or) operator: The query is not valid

Hi Rfla,

It seems that I got why you are getting this error. I found that if there is no value in the Text input control, I would also get the error message, but once I enter a value in it, the error disappears.

Have you tried to enter a value to see if the error would disappear?

I found a workaround for this, please try to use IsBlank function, I configured it looks like below, it is now working fine on my side:
if(IsBlank(TextInput1.Text),'Holidy apply',Filter('Holidy apply',StartsWith(Title,TextInput1.Text)||StartsWith(w5ka,TextInput1.Text)))

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: StartsWith filter not working when using the || (or) operator: The query is not valid

Hi Rfla,

What’s the data source? Is it SharePoint list? What’s the column type?

I tried the StartsWith function with the ||(OR) operator, it just works fine on my side.

I am working with SharePoint list, the two columns I am using are Text column types.
In the app, add a Gallery control and a Text input1 control. Then set the Items property of the Gallery as:
Filter('Holiday apply',StartsWith(Title,TextInput1.Text)||StartsWith(w5ka,TextInput1.Text))

Could you please try again with it and let me know the result?

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Rfla
Level 10

Hi @v-yamao-msft thanks for feedback, still not able to get this working.

Yes SharePoint list. Columns are text fields. Tested in desktop app as well as browser. Standard SP list.

Last test was this : Session ID: ed990eef-cbe5-a09e-689f-d269fd44670f

Version: 5.0.592

Could it be some regional issues. located in the Nordic part of Europe.

In the browser version I don't see the '' around the source. Tried to add them manually without any luck.

I have tried this in browser version:

Filter('Source',StartsWith(Title,TextSearchBox1.Text)||StartsWith(Text2,TextSearchBox1.Text))

Filter('Source',(StartsWith(Title,TextSearchBox1.Text)||StartsWith(Text2,TextSearchBox1.Text)))

Filter(Source,(StartsWith(Title,TextSearchBox1.Text)||StartsWith(Text2,TextSearchBox1.Text)))

Filter(Source,StartsWith(Title,TextSearchBox1.Text)||StartsWith(Text2,TextSearchBox1.Text))

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Rfla,

Are you using PowerApps studio for Web? Just now I tried this issue on PowerApps studio for Windows, and it worked fine.
Do you have PowerApps studio for Windows? If you have one, please try with the same function on it to see if it works.

This time I tried the same steps and same code I did on desktop studio. I found that after I entered the code, there are three yellow triangles on the app, but no error shown on the code I entered.

2.PNG
Then I clicked each triangles, an error “Invalid Name” was shown. So I tried to change ThisItem.Heading to ThisItem.Title, then the yellow triangle disappeared. The same actions with other two triangles.

After I modified all the Text property of each Text box controls, the code worked as expected.

If you are getting the same issue with me on PowerApps studio for Web, please try my steps to see if it works.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Rfla
Level 10

Hi @v-yamao-msft, the issue originated from the desktop version, just tried today the browser version to see if it gave any additional hints on the error.

So same issue for desktop version.

I only see this yellow warning -  The requsted operation is invalid. Server response: The query is not valid
I checked the Text values for the fields as well.

Rfla
Level 10

@v-yamao-msft

Fiddler gave me this:
{"status":400,"message":"The query is not valid.","source":"https://******.*********.com/sites/*******//_api/web/lists/getbytitle('Leads')/Items?$expand=Author,Editor&$select=*,Author/Name,Editor/Name&$top=500&$filter=(true)or(true)","errors":["-1","Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException"]}

Rfla
Level 10

Fiddler.png

I can see an extra forward slash in the Get request. Not sure if its linked to my issue or not.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Rfla,

It seems that I got why you are getting this error. I found that if there is no value in the Text input control, I would also get the error message, but once I enter a value in it, the error disappears.

Have you tried to enter a value to see if the error would disappear?

I found a workaround for this, please try to use IsBlank function, I configured it looks like below, it is now working fine on my side:
if(IsBlank(TextInput1.Text),'Holidy apply',Filter('Holidy apply',StartsWith(Title,TextInput1.Text)||StartsWith(w5ka,TextInput1.Text)))

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

View solution in original post

Rfla
Level 10

Great 🙂 Missed that simple check.
So this should be mentioned in this link as well?

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/function-startswith/

Highlighted
Oleks
Level: Powered On

Hi v-yamao-msft,

Any "If" condition in the formula of the "Items" Gallery property causes the Gallery to behave unpredictably when the data in the source is updated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,989)