cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomLau
Level: Powered On

Re: Strange Glitch When Pressing Enter Key

it has to do with the new formatting option. When i press 'Format text' it ads tabs very nicely, but when i Remove the formatting it removes the tabs and all my enters and adds some spaces and it got a real mess 😞

Bahalzamon

@TomLau I feel like that is when it started happening, once I tried the autoformatting and from then on the enter just highlights. =(

JimmyAinsley

I just received an official response from a Microsoft support employee after opening a ticket for this major issue, it is BAD news guys:

Thanks for your response.

The issue you are facing with the PowerApps is by design behavior of the product. We totally understand that it would be difficult for you to use SHIFT + ENTER every time when you want to go to the next line. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

But as this is by design there is nothing we can do form our side. But I will definitely post this idea in the Idea’s forum of PowerApps and hope it might get fixed in the future.

Please let us know if you need any further information.

View solution in original post

tommyly
Level 8

In other words, what was working conveniently one way, and no longer working the same way, was actually a fix--aka a feature. And there's no good reason to fix what's not broken. To be fair, I'm getting used to hitting [Shift] now. I'm so good at it, I sometimes do it when I'm typing Word documents. Well, that's as good of a solution as there will ever be. Thanks for sharing.

Bahalzamon

@JimmyAinsly What I wonder is, what is the reasoning behind this change, I would think that they are utilizing the "Enter" for something far more useful forcing you to use the Shift+Enter.

Im all for it if it is a useful addition/modification, I am just unsure what that is, because currently as I see it, highlighting the function area isn’t all that useful.

tommyly
Level 8

I presume the reason behind it was to attach an event to the [Enter] keypress. My best guess is that they intend to automate formatting of formulas every time you hit enter--and that's only because everytime I hit enter (without [Shift]), blue phantom border lines appear and wrap themselves around the "Format text" label; but that could just be a coincidence.

It's really strange because in Excel, you press [Alt]+[Enter] to create a line break in your formula. So this sort of deviates from the standard.

TomLau

exactly, but they used the Alt key to start your code without having to 'play' the app.

The thinking is good, but the execution is bad 🙂

BrianR
Level 10

Oh PLEASE NO AUTOMATIC FORMATTING OR COMPLETION OF FORMULAS in the code editor!

The recommendations and settings at the top are great and very useful.  But autocomplete will not only slow down the editor (its slow enough at times, depending on the time of day), but only cause further issues.  At least if this ability is added, PLEASE provide an option to TURN IT OFF (which will be the first change I would make).  🙂  

And honestly - let's please not try to follow the Excel example here - it doesn't work well when you have to edit large blocks of code (made even larger due to not having any way to create macros or functions, and no really good work around (Select() has issues).

In the code editor window - let's follow a MUCH better Microsoft example - the Visual Studio editor.  🙂  

BrianR
Level 10

FYI - if this is the attitude that the PowerApps team will be taking, I'll add this to the list of reasons to consider moving AWAY from PowerApps.  Definitely an environment that has a TON of potential, but frankly I've wasted so much time with the lack of the BASICS that I probably could have coded my entire app from the ground up in another environment ten times over by now.  Sure some things are easier in PowerApps, but that is more than taken up by the amount of time that you have to spend getting around things that SHOULD be easy that aren't (I have a LONG list).

And changing basic functionality like the ENTER key midstream really highlights DevOps done poorly.  

Come on guys, this is NOT Excel - don't try to make it into Excel...  

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 7,129 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: