cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EdHansberry
Level: Powered On

Struggling to understand how to move data cards around on an Edit Form

I have turned off "snap to" and in general understand you cannot just drag and drop cards (don't know why, but I understand that.)

I have been trying to position cards using X/Y coordinate. I had one card that was at 0/390 and 567 units wide. All the cards above it were:

0/0, 567,0

0/110, 567,110

0/190, 567,190

etc. In other words, every card was 567 wide, and I wanted 2, but I needed to tweak some at the bottom to be 3/4 wide, so couldn't use snap to. When I got to around 450 on the y axis, I had one that was:

0/450, and 567 wide.

could not get any card to be next to it. I tried 567,450 (should have worked) and made it 1 pixel wide just to see if it would fit. I never could get it to work. I eventually just deleted all of the cards below where I was, and added them back. Then it put them where I wanted.

I tried saving/closing/restarting the browser, because I know the dev space gets wonky sometimes, but that didn't help. Nothing but deleting/readding would work.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this part of the environment just frustrating?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eelman
Level 8

Re: Struggling to understand how to move data cards around on an Edit Form

@EdHansberry datacards inside Forms are just ... difficult to manipulate for viewing. The way I understand them is there are fixed columns & rows and you can't move outside of that "grid-style" visual.

But, to maybe get what you want you could try setting the Columns to 4. You can then have cards that are 1/4 width, 2/4 width, 3/4 width or 4/4 width, if that makes sense. So this solve your 2/per row requirement as well as your 3/4 with card requirement.

Once you set the columns to 4, try snap to columns ON then OFF. This will move all the cards into 4 columns but then 'unlock' them for moving around.If you wanted cards 1 & 2 to cover the entire 1st row, select card 1 and drag it's RH border across to cover columns 1&2, then select card 2 and drag it's RH border across to cover columns 3&4. Cards 1&2 should now cover row 1. 

To get a 3/4 width card further down, select that card and drag it's RH border to cover 3 columns.

You can play around with the column width number to suit your needs.

Other than the above, I've never had much success in formatting the layout of Forms but hopefully this helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eelman
Level 8

@EdHansberry datacards inside Forms are just ... difficult to manipulate for viewing. The way I understand them is there are fixed columns & rows and you can't move outside of that "grid-style" visual.

But, to maybe get what you want you could try setting the Columns to 4. You can then have cards that are 1/4 width, 2/4 width, 3/4 width or 4/4 width, if that makes sense. So this solve your 2/per row requirement as well as your 3/4 with card requirement.

Once you set the columns to 4, try snap to columns ON then OFF. This will move all the cards into 4 columns but then 'unlock' them for moving around.If you wanted cards 1 & 2 to cover the entire 1st row, select card 1 and drag it's RH border across to cover columns 1&2, then select card 2 and drag it's RH border across to cover columns 3&4. Cards 1&2 should now cover row 1. 

To get a 3/4 width card further down, select that card and drag it's RH border to cover 3 columns.

You can play around with the column width number to suit your needs.

Other than the above, I've never had much success in formatting the layout of Forms but hopefully this helps!

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @EdHansberry ,

For documentation about customizing layout of data-form control, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/working-with-form-layout

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
EdHansberry
Level: Powered On

Thanks @Eelman and @v-monli-msft . At least I know I'm not crazy. Thanks for the link too. I looked yesterday and found a good one but it was for Model driven, not Canvas. Now I have some Canvas reading to do on this.

But yeah, it seems more difficult than it should be for a GUI environment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,304)