Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PowerAddict
Level 10

Tapping into data from a website

Hi All, 

I am trying to see if there is a way to extract data from a website either using Flow or Power Apps? I am trying to tap into live sports data, if at all possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Hardit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Tapping into data from a website

Hi @PowerAddict ,

Do you want to extract data from a live website using PowerApps or MS Flow?

If you want to extract data from a live website using PowerApps or MS Flow, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps or MS Flow.

Currently, there is no function or action supported in PowerApps or MS FLow to extract data from a live website. If you would like this feature to be added, please consider submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @PowerAddict ,

Do you want to extract data from a live website using PowerApps or MS Flow?

If you want to extract data from a live website using PowerApps or MS Flow, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps or MS Flow.

Currently, there is no function or action supported in PowerApps or MS FLow to extract data from a live website. If you would like this feature to be added, please consider submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

PowerAddict
Level 10

I was hoping to use either to get some live sports data from a website so I could do some analytics with it or create a fantasy league app for my friends.

I could use some APIs but they are all pretty expensive so was hoping to see if there was a way to fetch data from a website. It wouldnt be live but being able to do that on a per day basis would be super cool.

I will create an idea for the same, hopefully there are more people who would benefit from this.

Thanks,
Hardit
Super User
Super User

@PowerAddict 

I disagree with @v-xida-msft that you cannot accomplish this with PowerApps or Automate.   In general there are 2 ways to consume data from a website: by using an API or by web scraping. 

APIs are preferable because you can build a custom connector to access the data in PowerApps and Flow.  My preferred sports API is https://www.mysportsfeeds.com/.  They offer a free tier for non-commercial usage.  Here's what you can do with the free tier.

Non-Commercial
This includes developers, students, bloggers and researchers. For new subscribers, you'll automatically be assigned as a COMMERCIAL user unless you Contact Us to request NON-COMMERCIAL access. Let us know how you consider it to be non-commercial, and how our API will be used.

If we agree to assign you NON-COMMERCIAL status, by default you'll have free limited postgame access. What that means:

access to ALL available data feeds for all leagues.
postgame access to the current season of each league.
access to v1.x feeds only.
access to only the most recent completed regular season for each league.
limited to 100 requests/day, and 1,500 requests/month.

The other method called web scraping is not a preferred technique for PowerApps.  Web scraping involves writing a program (in another language of your choosing) to parse the HTML of a website which extracts the desired data.  I have written Python scripts to get sports data in the past but found it unreliable because when a new webpage is published might contain new HTML which breaks my script.  Therefore, I only use this method when an API is not available.

If you manage to create a fantasy sports app be sure to share a demo on the forum or community blog.  I would love to see the results of your work.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

PowerAddict
Level 10

Thanks girl the great suggestion @mdevaney

The only problem is that these guys don't provide tennis data. I might have to get into scrapping data from a website and deal with consequences of changes in HTML when that happens. The data flow I have in mind is website->Power BI->Power Apps

Will ley you know if and when I forcw myself to plunge into this!

Thanks,
Hardit Bhatia
https://thepoweraddict.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,265)