cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mr-dang
Level 10

Test processing power

The Connection function can detect whether a device is on a metered connection or if it is connected/disconnected. I have used Connection.Metered in a condition to determine how much data to store locally: mobile phones on cell data would store less data while laptops on wifi would pull down more. It helps it run better.

But not all user laptops benefit from holding more data locally. Fast laptops greatly benefit since they don't have to wait to pull down data all the time, but slow laptops can't handle it.

Does anyone have a way to test the processing power of a device?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mr-dang
Level 10

Re: Test processing power

Ok, I think I may have thought of a solution

Big idea: set a variable at the start and a new variable at the end of all the loading.

Set(startLoad,Now())

and Set(endLoad,Now())

Load and reload the app on different devices and measure the average load time. Consider having your app record the time it takes to load to a datasource.

Create a toggle bound to whether the time loaded was below or above the average.

Toggle.Default:

DateDiff(startLoad,endLoad,Seconds)>averageLoad

If the time it took to load is above average, then implement lighter actions in the app.

When writing formulas that are tied to intensive operations, use the Toggle's value as a condition.

I tested it and it works because Now() is not delayed by lag like a timer control is.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mr-dang,

Based on what I know, there is no proper methods to deal with that. I think the processing power is a little hard to define, as the workload of the device is mostly depends on the user operations.

@AndyPennell may have some insights on this topic.

Besides, please consider submit this as an idea.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mr-dang
Level 10

@AndyPennell

Any new thoughts on this?

@Meneghino posted an idea for signals which I think could also help checking for speed.

I previously tried measuring speed using a timer, but when a slow computer lags, so does the timer.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
mr-dang
Level 10

Ok, I think I may have thought of a solution

Big idea: set a variable at the start and a new variable at the end of all the loading.

Set(startLoad,Now())

and Set(endLoad,Now())

Load and reload the app on different devices and measure the average load time. Consider having your app record the time it takes to load to a datasource.

Create a toggle bound to whether the time loaded was below or above the average.

Toggle.Default:

DateDiff(startLoad,endLoad,Seconds)>averageLoad

If the time it took to load is above average, then implement lighter actions in the app.

When writing formulas that are tied to intensive operations, use the Toggle's value as a condition.

I tested it and it works because Now() is not delayed by lag like a timer control is.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 472 members 6,344 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: