cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idcampbell
Level: Powered On

The column "" does not exist or does not support the lookup function

I recently modified all of my screens to use a different data source (moving from a test SharePoint site to a prod SharePoint site) which between the two have different field names. I modified all formulas and data cards and resolved all syntax errors and warnings within Power Apps Studio to correctly rename the fields. When I run the app in test mode in Studio there are no errors. When I publish then run my app I get an error message that two columns do not exist or do not support the lookup function.

The columns the error message is referencing are old column names from the old data source. I've deleted the old data source and verified none of the formulas or data cards reference the old column names, yet I still receive the error "The column [column name] does not exist or does not support the lookup function". Even more strange, is that the app "works fine" meaning all queries return the expected data and I can edit, delete and update records.

Help would be appreciated.

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nickduxfield
Level 8

Re: The column "" does not exist or does not support the lookup function

deleting the old cards and replacing just those with the lookups instead of replaing the control field values. Last time i did a source replace, I had to this.

I have the same column from a content type, I test and production, do a rename displayname, remove and readd the source: the datafield name might get confused even though you did everything right.

Next time, try to rename the columns display names after you swap to production, for me this helps, reduces field corrections during the transition.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nickduxfield
Level 8

deleting the old cards and replacing just those with the lookups instead of replaing the control field values. Last time i did a source replace, I had to this.

I have the same column from a content type, I test and production, do a rename displayname, remove and readd the source: the datafield name might get confused even though you did everything right.

Next time, try to rename the columns display names after you swap to production, for me this helps, reduces field corrections during the transition.

View solution in original post

nickduxfield
Level 8

Just another comment.

Another issue I had with content types when swapping from test to production is: Adding the content type to a new list, doesnt always add all the columns. I needed to go to the list and add one or two. This could be the issue, they dont exist.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @idcampbell,

So far we do not recommend to reuse an app directly by deleting and re-adding the data source. This will cause the error. Usually we need to create the whole app if data source is changed. I found an idea submitted here and the status is planned:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Change-datasource-to-reuse-app-export-import/idi...

Please consider to vote there. 

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
idcampbell

Hi @nickduxfield

I resolved the issue by following your steps: for the "offending columns" (that generated the "does not support the lookup function" error) I deleted the custom data card and then added a new data card using the default field values for the fields/columns in question. I no longer receive the errors.

Disappointing that it took this long to resolve, but promising that Microsoft is planning to offer an export/import app function when switching like for like data sources.

Thank you!

Ian D. Campbell

skylitedave
Level 10

Can you give  a little more detail on this...

I changed the data source after importing the app into a new environment and am seeing this issue on a couple of fields

They are lookups ....  they are used no where on the form ...

I tried adding and then deleting but same issue...

Can you give a little more detail on what you did to resolve this issue?

nickduxfield
Level 8

Try removing the source, reading source.
Try checking whether you correctly have the exact column type the form was setup for.
Content types help with this. But as I said in my experience. I added the content type and layer fpund:
1. It didn't add 1 new column to the sharepoint list.
2. I needed to refresh sources
3. The datacard controls we're incompatible with the source.. had to delete some, and readd.
JoaoN

I am having the same issue but do not know how to fix it. I had a table as source, but I modificated it and rename it (the old name was not intuitive) and then I change the table at app as it needed.

Now, at the editor screen the test is ok, but when I try to use it in my APP there is a notify that says that the table I deleted do not exist anymore. I tryed to delete the powerapps app from my mobile but doesn´t work.

Dont know anymore what to do!

Obs: Another issue is that all the personalization that i do, none of them shows at the app when it runs. Even some InputText i have created.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 101 members 5,366 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: