cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeAnderson
Level: Powered On

The data source is read-only error

Hello!

I have a collection that I'm trying to save to an on-premise SQL Server database.  I tried both Collect() and Patch() but they both trow the error: "The data source is read-only, so the function Collect can't write to it".

Patch('[dbo].[EquipmentRequests]',Defaults('[dbo].[EquipmentRequests]'), {Job: JobCboBox.Selected.Jobs});

Collect('[dbo].[EquipmentRequests]', EquipmentRequestCollection)

Error:

1.png

The SQL database is successfully connected through the gateway (I'm reading data out of a different database on the same server).  The database I'm attempting to write to is very simple:

2.png

I created a label with the following formula but it shows blank:

First(Errors('[dbo].[EquipmentRequests]')).Message

Any thoughts on what I can change or might be doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: The data source is read-only error

@MikeAnderson 

I would take a look at the account that you are using to connect to the data source.  Make sure it is an account that has the access you need to the data base.  Also that the permission is properly configured in the database to allow write capabilities. 

Also, I recall seeing a log on the gateway machine that may have some particular help in diagnosis, but I don't recall offhand where it was and am not at a point to check on the accuracy of that statement.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

@MikeAnderson 

I would take a look at the account that you are using to connect to the data source.  Make sure it is an account that has the access you need to the data base.  Also that the permission is properly configured in the database to allow write capabilities. 

Also, I recall seeing a log on the gateway machine that may have some particular help in diagnosis, but I don't recall offhand where it was and am not at a point to check on the accuracy of that statement.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

MikeAnderson

Thank you for the suggesions. 

I actually created both databases the app is connecting to so I'm assuming here since I am connected over my personal GW I setup and configured with my account that created the databases in SQL which is the local admin perms should be ok?

I checked the GatewayInfo,Network,Error logs but nothing stood out.

Super User
Super User

@MikeAnderson 

I'm still suspect of the account only because I saw most issues involved that when working with it.  Your table appears fine, but have you tried another table to see if there are the same problems?

As for the log...I'd have to check on it later today to give you specifics...Unless someone else chimes in with a suggestion for you.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You need to check the account you are using on the Gateway and the connection account inthe SQL connector, unless they are your account.  Those accounts will need access to the database as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
MikeAnderson

Just so I'm not missing anything to check.

When I created the connection in PowerApps, I selected the GW (a personal gateway running on my laptop under the default service account) and in the PowerApps UI, I selected Auth Type: Windows, Username: domain\username and my password to connect to my on-premise database.  These credentials are successfully reading data out of the databases, and are the same credentials I'm signed into on my local PC which is running the database PowerApps is connecting to.  Within SSMS I am the same user domain\username, which is the creator/owner of the databases and the sysadmin of SQL (since it's my local instance).

Highlighted
MikeAnderson

I restarted the GW service on my local machine and it magically started working.  Thank you all for your inputs!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 361 members 7,037 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: