cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RossW
Level: Powered On

Thisitem.image To Display Images From Sharepoint Library

Until recently we have been displaying images from Sharepoint libraries in our apps by using a Hyperlink or Picture column on Sharepoint with an image control bound to thisitem.image to display them in the app.

This worked fine until relatively recently though it's hard to say exactly when as we only in the last few days got reports from users using this functionality. Basically, where the images were previously displayed it is now blank. This is the case accross several different apps on different tenants that used similar functionality so appears to be due to a change made by MS to Powerapps itself.

Would be greatful for any insight into a fix/workaround for this as we have several apps where the core functionality is depandant on displaying pictures from a Hyperlink or Picture column in Sharepoint.

4 REPLIES 4
tommyly
Level 8

Re: Thisitem.image To Display Images From Sharepoint Library

Have you checked to make sure the source (URL) of the picture is still valid? If the picture is not in controlled (by you or your organization), it could have moved, been renamed, or been taken down.

Another issue I encountered--which I'll share in case you've been doing this as well--is that I was saving pictures in a SharePoint document library. This is what I'd do:

• Copy the desired image and save it in the document library
  • Click on the picture to display the image in my web browser
  • I copy the URL in my web browser and paste it into the Picture field (Long-Text datatype). And it fails. No pictures show up for whatever reason...
  • So I right-click the picture and choose to Open Image in New Tab (Chrome); I'm sure Internet Explorer has its own version of this
  • And then when the picture pops up in its own tab, it displays a URL; something like this:
  • I copy all that jibberish and paste it into my Picture field. 'Lo and behold... it WORKS!

The picture shows up fine in gallery using ThisItem.Picture. But after a day or two, the picture disappears! When I copy the Picture field (which is that crazy-long eastus21-mediap.svc.mc URL) into the browser, it no longer shows up. I suspect that domain eastus21-mediap.svc.ms is a temporary repository that Microsoft SharePoint uses--and I further suspect using its URL is probably bad practice. So if this is what you are doing... then it would be interesting to hear what others in the community are doing to get around it. For now, I wait for our web admins to publish the pictures on a public website and then I use that URL. I imagine not everyone has that option.

But if that's not the issue you are encountering, then you might want to explain in further detail how you are getting your picture URLs.

RossW
Level: Powered On

Thanks tommyly.

The URLs are definitely still valid as they are openable in a browser and in sharepoint the columns display the images as intended.

They are just links to the picture stored in a Sharepoint library so the URLs are all just the address of the site collection and library with the name and extension of the image at the end, nothing too crazy. Was all working well until recently though I have come accross a couple of people with the same issue so it does appear to be a change made by MS in the last few months.

If there is a preferable way of displaying pictures from a Sharepoint library in a canvas app I'm also open to suggestions!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @RossW,

I have made a test, and the issue is confirmed on my side.

I would post this issue to my product team, if the issue is solved, I would reply here.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

any update?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,983)