cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesaw24
Level: Power Up

Tie Sharepoint lists together

Hi, I am working on a client tracking application for our company.

Our app is set up as follows:

MainSplashScreen -> Manual GUI with 3 options for Recurring Contracts, Commercial and Residential.

Each of these buttons will direct you to a new screen. i.e.: Commercial will direct you to CommercialSplashScreen.

From CommercialSplashScreen, it displays a list of our Commercial clients. This is a sharepoint list and is an actively updated list. Pressing on one of the clients will take you to the CommercialClientsDetail screen. This information directly corresponds to the data in the Commercial Client Sharepoint list.

Our need is to add an option from inside that Detail screen to "view more" about the client and have it dynamically send you to another list. i.e.: From inside Acme Building CommercialClientsDetail screen, there needs to be a button that when pressed will send you to a list elsewhere on Sharepoint named AcmeBuildingUnits. The screen will then display all units that we have built for Acme that are listed in the AcmeBuildingUnits sharepoint list.

This "view more" option can be expansion dots, hamburger, whatever but needs to link to specific sharepoint lists depending on which client from the CommercialClientsDetail screen we are in. I do not want to link directly to the sharepoint list with an HTML link and have it pull you from the app to a browser. I would like for the functionality to stay within the app.

Thanks for your help!

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Tie Sharepoint lists together

Hi @jamesaw24,

Could you please detail the structure of the underlying data.  Is the Commercial clients details list a one-to-one or one to many relations to the Clients list.  Clearly, the AcmeBuildingUnits are a one-to-many relationships to the Clients details list.  In order to link these lists, there needs to be a foreign key from the one side of the relationship in the many side.  Please review my blog posts in the Community Blog section if you are not familiar with these concepts.

jamesaw24
Level: Power Up

Thanks for the reply, I read through your blog posts but they are vague about tying the data itself together. You mention different tables with unique IDs to tie datasets but dont list how to form that relationship. Access is being phased out according to MS so where would you suggest creating the tables?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @jamesaw24,

As far as I know, Desktop Access is not being phased out.  I typically create my tables there and then export them one by one to Sharepoint.  However, you can also create your lists in Sharepoint.  I create the relationships in PowerApps primarily using the Lookup() function and Dropdown controls. The only requirement is that the Child list (the Many side of the relationhip) contains a number column that is named for the the Parent's ID (One side of the relationship).  So if you have three lists  Customers, Orders, and Products, the Orders list should have a column named CustomerID and a column called ProductID both should be a Number type column.  You don't have to worry about creating the relationships in the Source program as that is done from within Powerapps. 

TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Thanks for your help with this thread @Drrickryp.

@jamesaw24 can you review the updated information and advise if you need further assistance?

@TopShelf-MSFT

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,823)