cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerApps Staff tahoon
PowerApps Staff

Re: Toggle Visibility Issue In Improved App Rendering (final validation) Mode

Our engineers have confirmed this problem and are looking into this. I'll update this thread again when there is a fix.

The workaround is as described above: make sure all form data cards are visible initially, even if they are on a different screen. Then, when navigating to a screen, set the visibility appropriately.

eddyg
Level: Powered On

Thanks @tahoon. It's only taken me months of bashing my head against the wall to finally work this out. So frustrating. This changed at some stage because previous apps I built were working fine and then they all started acting up.

If you leave the improved app rendering on and and don't make all data cards visible initially, the rendering goes completely haywire and that is on any platform, browser or iPhone. Please make sure the engineers also know about this.

Working with hidden fields in forms is such a critical, and I think, basic feature.

Thanks for your assistance on this.

I have another bug I've found. I'll open a another discussion.

PowerApps Staff _Corey_
PowerApps Staff

@keathley@eddyg We have committed a fix that should address all auto-height issues in Forms for both Classic Render and Improved Rendering.  It is scheduled to hit production in mid-January.  I will update this thread again when it is deployed, or if the release schedule changes for any reason.

keathley

Thanks @_Corey_

jackferryman

Re: Toggle Visibility BUG In Improved App Rendering (final validation) Mode

I've found this solution did not work for me, although my application is larger and more complex than the example shown by eddyg (Thanks), i cannot get the rendering to function as needed, using variables and keeping all tabs visible until they are hidden.  

The first page of my app is before any data is loaded so this maybe a problem on my part, as the my variables wont actually be changing anything yet. I will have a play with changing the variables on preceding pages to where i need the tabs to be visible/invisible.

I hope the fix @_Corey_ mentions is out imminently 🙂

Highlighted
eddyg

Hi @jackferryman,

By the "first page of my app", do you mean the first screen?

If that's the case, then the same rule applies. At the very beginning of the app, in other words, the very first screen that opens when the app starts, you will need to initiate all the variables there regardless of whether they are used or not on that screen. You do this by using GLOBAL variables, in other words, use SET when initiating the variable. This is where you will set ALL the variables to TRUE regardless of what state you would like them in. Then when you hit the screen that you want to use the variables in, On Start of that screen, you SET the variables according to what you want to hide or show. I've done some extensive testing around this and this is the only way I've managed to get this to work everytime.

Good luck.

jackferryman

Hi @eddyg, Thanks for the swift reply, Yes, i had already done as you mentioned and set the global variables on the very first page (first screen on loading) of the application. 

Is it worth mentioning that at the first screen of my application the DB hasnt been queried yet? I did find on occasion, that if i went in to a detail screen (with the tabs in) it would not render correctly, but if i re entered that particular entry the default visible tab (onvisble) would now display correctly. Change tab (variable changes) then that tab doesnt render correctly. 

I'd upload some screen shots but the content it confidential- i will double check the coding and come back to you.

Thanks  

eddyg

Hi @jackferryman, if your app is complex and there is a lot going on, then there might be other things that are influencing this. It might not be worthwhile battling to try and create a workaround. I found in my testing that I couldn't actually get my original app to function correctly so after using a brand new test app to find the cause of the issue and the workaround, I rebuilt my app from scratch using my workaround. Quite an undertaking I know but I couldn't get my original app to work with my workaround either. It might be cache or it might just be gremlins, who knows. There was quite a bit of work to rebuild my app but I'd like to think that it took less time than it would have taken to hack away until I finally got the workaround to work.

Having said all that, they did mention that they would be releasing the rendering patch this month..... Maybe it's worth waiting for that.

jackferryman

Hi,

My APP is now resolved, i went through more carfeully and re added all the global variable as required (i missed some previously) as per @eddyg instructions and now works correctly.

The size/complexity (not to mention person in chair) of my application was the sticking point! 

Thanks for all the support 

PowerApps Staff _Corey_
PowerApps Staff

@keathley @eddyg @jackferryman The auto-height fix for forms has completed deployment with version 3.18124.  

@jackferryman Perhaps this is just coincidence? 😉 In any event, I'm glad your app is now working correctly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,720)