cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedAl
Level: Powered On

Turning Canvas App into a Template for Internal Organisation

I`ve created an internal app for booking internal sessions in my organisation that a number of departments would like to utilise for their own events but I can`t see a way of creating a template for this app. Is the only way to use the "export the package" option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Turning Canvas App into a Template for Internal Organisation

@RedAl 

Correct.  There is no such thing as a "template" in PowerApps.  The only way to go exporting the package and importing as new.  Importing is very straight-forward.  The part that requires work is connecting the app to a different data source.

Another idea is: instead of creating several instances of the same application you could re-build it to accomodate all departments at once.  The ability to view/edit data could be restricted by who created the event and the department they belong to.  Of course, this would put you in the position of maintaining the app for everyone and require standardization across departments.  It all depends on whether you would want to be responsible for all this, LOL!

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly. If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

@RedAl 

Correct.  There is no such thing as a "template" in PowerApps.  The only way to go exporting the package and importing as new.  Importing is very straight-forward.  The part that requires work is connecting the app to a different data source.

Another idea is: instead of creating several instances of the same application you could re-build it to accomodate all departments at once.  The ability to view/edit data could be restricted by who created the event and the department they belong to.  Of course, this would put you in the position of maintaining the app for everyone and require standardization across departments.  It all depends on whether you would want to be responsible for all this, LOL!

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly. If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

RedAl
Level: Powered On

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I feared you would say the option to create a custom template from my app wouldnt be possible so I`ve exported it as a package and hope that will still be of some use internally. 

The other option isn`t really feasible at this moment as I dont know how the rest of the organisation wish to use it so will just explain the import option and be on hand to assist with using/customizing it to their own needs.

Thanks again. Much appreciated

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,872)