Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gauthambr
Level: Powered On

URL trigger using button in PowerApps

Hi all,

I need to trigger an URL that I am gonna hardcode using the button in PowerApps currently if I use Launch("https://www.google.com") it is opening a "new tab page in the browser", instead of this functionality - I just want the URL to run in the background without opening it in a new page. Is there a way to implement this case? 

FYI - I am triggering an Azure Functions using the URL - so I donot require it to be opened in a new tab in browser.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gauthambr

Re: URL trigger using button in PowerApps

Great suggestion @RusselThomas ! Will have to try this out. Meanwhile, I have used MS Flow to call out the Azure Functions URL and invoked MS Flow in PowerApps "Button".

SubmitForm(Form3);NewForm(Form3);PowerAppsbutton.Run();PowerBIIntegration.Refresh()

So MS Flow makes the URL to trigger in the backend by using the below function in the OnSelect event,

PowerAppsbutton.Run();

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Hi @gauthambr ,

Launch() is interactive, so I don't think it would be easy to get it to run suppressed.

If you have a premium license I'd suggest passing the web call off to Flow in the background.

You can create a PowerApps triggered flow that uses the HTTP/HTTPS function - this way you can use the same flow for different calls.  

It does however carry a licensing implication.

Likewise, you could create a custom API for your azure function and then use the custom connector in PowerApps to execute the function.

Something I can't test as I don't have an API or webhook that would show me whether it works or not, is putting a dynamic URL into an image....So here, I would put an image on the page and set it's Image: property to varURL.  Then set the varURL value to your URL with a button OnSelect:

UpdateContext({varURL: "your url here"})

As I say, I can't unfortunately test this so have no clue whether it will work or whether it will throw errors or anything else, but it might attempt to reach the URL which might be enough to execute the webhook, even if it doesn't actually have an image to render.

Hope this helps,

RT

Super User
Super User

@RusselThomas - the 'image' suggestion is a great idea - very clever!

gauthambr

Great suggestion @RusselThomas ! Will have to try this out. Meanwhile, I have used MS Flow to call out the Azure Functions URL and invoked MS Flow in PowerApps "Button".

SubmitForm(Form3);NewForm(Form3);PowerAppsbutton.Run();PowerBIIntegration.Refresh()

So MS Flow makes the URL to trigger in the backend by using the below function in the OnSelect event,

PowerAppsbutton.Run();

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Thanks @timl  - out of curiosity I set up a HTTP Request flow with a GET method to test the theory.  It does indeed work.

I'd be careful employing this method in a production app though, it's likely to be seen as a bug and could stop working without notice.

Kind regards,

RT

Super User
Super User

Hi @RusselThomas 

Thanks for testing this theory. Glad to hear it works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (2,606)