cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKnighton88
Level: Powered On

Unable to submit form due to 'Title' field required, but is not there

Hi,

I have created a form via my sharepoint and as many of you will know it always adds a 'Title' field. I have removed this from the Form, connected the data on my app arranged the icons and all other aspect seem to be working. However, when I am submitting the form after completing, I get an error saying that data is missing - this is due to that little annoying 'Title' field. 

How to I prevent this from happen? Is there anything I can do to bypass it? Or how do I find it? I cannot seem to see it anywhere on my my form on my application. Quite a confusing one, I didn't have this issue last time. 

Thanks in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Unable to submit form due to 'Title' field required, but is not there

The Title field is a required field in SharePoint and must be on the form if you are binding it to a SharePoint list when you submit it. You can set the visibility of the field to false, so it doesn't appear on the form. But since it is a required field you will need to supply a value to that field before you submit it.

Since you deleted the field you will need to edit the fields in your datasource to re-add it to the view.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

NigelP
Level 8

Hi @Pstork1 

Yes this has always been an problem with SharePoint for years since about 2001 !

But until recently, you could ignore the "Title" field. - You could set it to "Optional" and PowerApps / SHarePoint would respect that.  Now whatever you set the "Title" column to, PowerApps / SharePoint bounces any Submits - Title: Field Required.  (Patches still work though !) This is very annoying as there has been no announcements made saying this was going to change.  CAn we not go back to the old way of PowerApps / SharePoint respecting what you have the column set to - Required or Optional.

Thanks

Nigel

13 REPLIES 13
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The Title field is a required field in SharePoint and must be on the form if you are binding it to a SharePoint list when you submit it. You can set the visibility of the field to false, so it doesn't appear on the form. But since it is a required field you will need to supply a value to that field before you submit it.

Since you deleted the field you will need to edit the fields in your datasource to re-add it to the view.

RKnighton88

Hi @Pstork1 ,

I realised that a couple of minutes after, I have now re-added.

Thanks for your help. 

Super User
Super User

Could you not just set the Title field to not be required from SharePoint though?

List Settings> Click on Title > Require that this column contains information > (no) > ok

image.png

image.png

image.png

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
RKnighton88

I did try and do that but for some reason still asked for it.  I am pretty sure I never needed the 'Title' field on a previous form I created that I added and worked. But I am doubting myslef now.

I have added the 'Title' field for ease. As I had been messing around with it for too long. It's working which is the main thing. 

Super User
Super User

I've had similar issues before if I've created the form already, sometimes it's just that the data source needs refreshing and the Title datacard needs deleting (as it will still have in the advanced property under 'required'  = true even if you've changed that on the data source and refreshed)

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

That's something built into SharePoint.  Even if you tell it the Title field isn't required it will still be required.  You can't change that.

Super User
Super User

Hi @Pstork1 , that's not true though..

For example, I just created a list with Title and a person field, set title to not required, built 'canvas app from data' using that list, deleted the title data card:
image.png

Then submitted a new item:

image.png

When viewing that submitted item, title is blank as no data was provided:

image.png

I have built loads of Apps and lists with Title removed so that I didn't have to use it.

What you can't do is delete it from your data source, but there is no obligation to use it or even reference it from within your App.

Cheers,

ManCat

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I stand corrected.  Renaming or making Title optional has been an issue in SharePoint for years.  Evidently MS finally changed the requirement.

Super User
Super User

No worries, I completely understand the 'this never used to work' thought, happens a lot in the MS world 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,933)