cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe_100
Level: Powered On

Update On Premise IBM Iseries DB2 autogenerated identity column

Hi all,

At the moment i am writing a powerapp that reads data from a DB2 database on an Iseries machine on-premise.

I use the DB2 connector and use port 446 (DRDA).

Reading data from the DB2 is no problem. I am running into trouble when i want to create a new record or update an existing one.

In the table that i want to insert a new record in there is an autogenerated identity column. For powerapps it is mandatory that i supply a value for this field when using the patch functionality, of course this doesn't work and i receive an error from the DB2 database that it is an auto generated column i should not supply a value too.

So i thought, let's create a view without the identity column in it and use the view to update the table. 

unfortunately, when i want to use the view to update it tells me that the datasource is "read only"??? I guess this is because it is missing a primary key?

How can i overcome this issue, too me it looks like a bug in the DB2 connector.

I also tried to create a record through Microsoft Flow:

- When using the normal table i have the same problem that i need to supply a value for the auto generated identity column.

-When i use the view in Microsoft Flow i am actually able to create a record!!! So this would be kind of a workaround...

Any ideas on this?

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Update On Premise IBM Iseries DB2 autogenerated identity column

Hi @Joe_100 

Though I can not test with DB2 and reproduce the issue, and the error message shows that you have the permission "read only", so could you please check whether you have the "write" authority of the data source?

Best Regards.

Yumia

Highlighted
Joe_100

Hi @v-yuxima-msft 

I created a support case at MS and the issue is confirmed. Hopefully they can fix this soon.

The "read-only" message is when i try to update through a view not directly on the table. This is by design as i understand, although when i use Ms flow i can update through a view.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Joe_100 

If you get the solution, hope to update here and it will help more people who meet the same issue as yours.

Thank you for your post.

Best Regards.

Yumia

Joe_100

Just to let you know.

The problem is not solved yet.
I understand that the db2 connector is not top priority for Microsoft.
But is there any chance an admin here on the forums can check if the issue is somewhere "noted" at the development team for Investigation and/or fixing.

Highly appreciated.

I have created a ticket at Microsoft 1/2 months ago but have not heard anymore from them.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 314 members 5,693 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: