cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jhogan21
Level: Powered On

Update collection

I am looking for some help regarding collections. I am new to this and trying the self taught thing and, well, it is kicking my butt.

Is it possible to update a collection from multiple text inputs across mutiple screens?

I have 12 text input boxes spread over 3 screens. I would like to have info entered into each box and then update a collection with the info. I am currently using a button on each screen the updates the collection and navigates to the next screen. The issue is that each screen is placing the information into a new row rather than the same row as the previous info.

Is there a way to get all the information into one neat row? Eventually I will be expanding the app to 8-9 screens and dont want 9 rows of data for one entry.

Example:

Screen1: Textinpt1, Textinpt2, Textinpt3

Screen 2: Textinpt4, Textipt5, Textinpt6

Collection name: Testing

Column Names: Col1, Col2, Col3, Col4, Col5, Col6 (Fancy, I know)

I would like to have info from screen1 and 2 in a single row.

Any sugestions or alternate methods would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: Update collection

There are a couple of options on how you can go about this scenario:

1. You don't add any items to the collection until the last screen; at that point you can add a single record getting the values from all the text input controls from the different screens
  2. In the first screen you add one "incomplete" record to the collection; in each subsequent screen you keep updating that record, until the last screen, where you can then mark the record as "complete"

The attached app shows an example similar to your scenario. To open it, save it locally, then go to https://create.powerapps.com, select Open -> Browse, and find the file that you saved.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PowerApps Staff

There are a couple of options on how you can go about this scenario:

1. You don't add any items to the collection until the last screen; at that point you can add a single record getting the values from all the text input controls from the different screens
  2. In the first screen you add one "incomplete" record to the collection; in each subsequent screen you keep updating that record, until the last screen, where you can then mark the record as "complete"

The attached app shows an example similar to your scenario. To open it, save it locally, then go to https://create.powerapps.com, select Open -> Browse, and find the file that you saved.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Jhogan21

Thanks for the reply Carlos! I looked at the app you sent and it looks like I can borrow an idea or two from it. I like your first suggested option of updating after the final screen.

Can you clarify for me the ID variable you set.  I apologize for the ignorance but I am unfamiiar with the GUID reference. What does this variable represent or call on?

PowerApps Staff

The ID variable is a way for the next pages to be able to find the current record. A GUID is a unique identifier - that function will return a value that is unique each time.

Jhogan21

You are awesome sir! You have just opened a few doors of possibility for me!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,586)