Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NickK
Level: Powered On

Use Phone GPS to find closest store

Hello, 

I've built an app to give colleages in the field easy access to retail store level data (sales, lease & design info). 

They are asking for me to add the ability for the app to find the nearest store to them instead of searching for a store. 

I know I can use the phone's gps location and all my records have latitude and longitude coordinates (in decimal degrees) as well. 

Has anyone attempted this?

I've found several examples of the math required to get the distance between 2 sets of Lat&Long values, but they require setting variables for a distance calculation. (Something I haven't done). 

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff claudiosvcc
PowerApps Staff

Re: Use Phone GPS to find closest store

Hi,

I think of three ways you can solve your issue:

1 - If you have the function, you can create hidden text labels as intermediate values; You can do some math by just pointing the Label name (e.g., Label1/2 will get Label1 value and divide by 2)

or

2 - You can try using Context variables (e.g., UpdateContext({val1:Location.Latitude});UpdateContext({var:Atan(val1/2)}) for a dumb example);

3 - You can create a customapi that can connect to some api (such as Bing maps) and makes the math directly. This option needs more work to build, but it's better since it will get you the actual driving distance between two points and might eventually give you the traffic, etc.

There might be better solutions, though.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PowerApps Staff claudiosvcc
PowerApps Staff

Re: Use Phone GPS to find closest store

Hi,

I think of three ways you can solve your issue:

1 - If you have the function, you can create hidden text labels as intermediate values; You can do some math by just pointing the Label name (e.g., Label1/2 will get Label1 value and divide by 2)

or

2 - You can try using Context variables (e.g., UpdateContext({val1:Location.Latitude});UpdateContext({var:Atan(val1/2)}) for a dumb example);

3 - You can create a customapi that can connect to some api (such as Bing maps) and makes the math directly. This option needs more work to build, but it's better since it will get you the actual driving distance between two points and might eventually give you the traffic, etc.

There might be better solutions, though.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,663)