cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BillYoung-arm
Level: Powered On

Using SharePoint lists as a datasource

I recently found that simply providing permissions to a SharePoint list didn't enable the users to access the data in their PowerApp. The user also needed read access to the site. This hadn't previously been a problem, as I had used a SharePoint "PowerApps" site collection as the parent of all my apps, created a new sub-site for each App and shared the subsite with the users.

I like this sub-site per app approach but am conscious that we are being discouraged from sub-sites. In this scenario, it seems appropriate, however. Does anyone have any opinions whether this is good or bad practice?

Thanks - Bill

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-siky-msft
Level 10

Re: Using SharePoint lists as a datasource

Hi @BillYoung-arm ,

I think that there is no difference between a SharePoint site and a SharePoint subsite. they are almost the same.

The only difference is that subsite inherits the permission from top level site in a site collection.

I think it is good to use subsite per app if you can handle the permissions.

Best regards,

Sik

If my post is helpful for you, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Hi,

Just going to give my experience of using site collections / subsites - our users have ZERO access permissions to both the site and subsite level. None. There is nobody in visitors/members and only our projects team with full access.

On the actual SharePoint list, I have the following permissions set:
image.png

..and within Visitors/Members there are no members, and the Owners are just the Projects team.

By breaking permission inheritance on the SharePoint lists by granting this group permissions, an entry is created as an exception on the parent sites with 'limited access'.

If I look at the top-level parent site's advanced permissions, I see that the group has been given limited permission, and does not have read access to the site or subsite, but only to specific lists (i.e the ones where I've broken permission and explicitly added them)

Site-level:

image.png

image.png

If I try edit their permissions:

image.png

Then let's move to subsite-level, which in my case inherits its strict permissions from the site collection:

image.png

so we can see that the same user group has the same limited access permission levels at site-level:

image.png

Then at the List-level I've broken the inheritance and set that group to have contribute access JUST to that list:

image.png

So the way I currently do it is to have a site collection which is our data storage 'container' for subsites with no access permissions for standard employees, then each subsite represents a different App (again with no access for standard employees), then within each subsite I may have between 2 and 20+ SharePoint Lists, each with broken permission inheritance that grants that user permissions to edit/add items by giving them contribute rights.

Another great tip is to then change the settings of the Lists to stop them from being found via SharePoint searches, and in the unlikely event that they do guess both the name of the collection and of the subsite, we also disable quick edit & detail edit, and we customise the form to create a Power App that is just one giant button/label, and clicking that opens the actual standalone App.
image.png

image.png

I hope this information has been helpful!

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

From a sharing point of view users have already needed at least viewOnly access to the site collection to access a list in either the root or a sub site.  I suspect that is where the requirement is coming from since access to the data source is controlled through sharing permissions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
v-siky-msft
Level 10

Hi @BillYoung-arm ,

I think that there is no difference between a SharePoint site and a SharePoint subsite. they are almost the same.

The only difference is that subsite inherits the permission from top level site in a site collection.

I think it is good to use subsite per app if you can handle the permissions.

Best regards,

Sik

If my post is helpful for you, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly.

BillYoung-arm

Super User
Super User

Hi,

Just going to give my experience of using site collections / subsites - our users have ZERO access permissions to both the site and subsite level. None. There is nobody in visitors/members and only our projects team with full access.

On the actual SharePoint list, I have the following permissions set:
image.png

..and within Visitors/Members there are no members, and the Owners are just the Projects team.

By breaking permission inheritance on the SharePoint lists by granting this group permissions, an entry is created as an exception on the parent sites with 'limited access'.

If I look at the top-level parent site's advanced permissions, I see that the group has been given limited permission, and does not have read access to the site or subsite, but only to specific lists (i.e the ones where I've broken permission and explicitly added them)

Site-level:

image.png

image.png

If I try edit their permissions:

image.png

Then let's move to subsite-level, which in my case inherits its strict permissions from the site collection:

image.png

so we can see that the same user group has the same limited access permission levels at site-level:

image.png

Then at the List-level I've broken the inheritance and set that group to have contribute access JUST to that list:

image.png

So the way I currently do it is to have a site collection which is our data storage 'container' for subsites with no access permissions for standard employees, then each subsite represents a different App (again with no access for standard employees), then within each subsite I may have between 2 and 20+ SharePoint Lists, each with broken permission inheritance that grants that user permissions to edit/add items by giving them contribute rights.

Another great tip is to then change the settings of the Lists to stop them from being found via SharePoint searches, and in the unlikely event that they do guess both the name of the collection and of the subsite, we also disable quick edit & detail edit, and we customise the form to create a Power App that is just one giant button/label, and clicking that opens the actual standalone App.
image.png

image.png

I hope this information has been helpful!

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

BillYoung-arm

Thanks Sancho. Some of that I was already doing but you've given a great description and useful tips

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,961)