Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gargoolgala
Level 8

Validate multi-form prior to save

Hi All,

I have been struggling with this a bit and research is showing I might be going about it wrong.

I have a screen using multiple forms all based on the same datasource(sharepoint list). IT is a long list and has some required fields across many of the forms.

I am using a gallery to tab the navigation between the forms.  I only have 1 save button at the top of the screen.  I need to use PAtch to save the records as SubmitForm across multiple forms does not work as it resets the records before it gets to the next form and updates the 1st record only.

So I need to use a validation method for the PAtch.  I have tried If(IsBlank(Validate('Secure Print Assessments',First(Filter('Secure Print Assessments', ID=CustomerGallery.Selected.ID)),frmEnvironment.Updates,GAForm.Updates)),UpdateContext({Test:true}),UpdateContext({Test:false})) - this should set a label to true or false if the Validate command returns true/false - this is sort of working.  

If I remove a required value from GAForm it will throw a false answer as Validate does not return Blank.  However if I empty a value on the second form and even save it then it does not register.  I also seem to be finding that the validate is only checking against some fields e.g. it does not matter if I select nothing in a multi-select combobox as it still validates as blank.

Anyway -, can anyone tell me the best method of validating a multi-form patched PA?  Will I need to simply check all the required cards for a value and disable the save button until they are complete?  I might have a lot of required fields and was hoping to avoid doing this as it seems I am close on the validate option but I have stared at it so long now I cannot get my head around it.

The other thing is that the user may not fill in the complete form all at once - so I still require them to be able to save on the go.  Having said that I may need to remove all the required fields and do a check on the submit button if all required fields are filled in - this would still be best if  Icould use the validate across multiple forms  though.

Any assistance is appreciated and sorry if this is confusing as it is now all muddled in my head also 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Validate multi-form prior to save

Hi @Gargoolgala,

I'm afraid that you have to have all the required field filled before submitting to SharePoint list. This is a must. Actually this is not something that could be changed from PowerApps side, this is the setting from SharePoint. You have to have all the required fields filled, or else you cannot save a new item.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Gargoolgala,

I'm afraid that you have to have all the required field filled before submitting to SharePoint list. This is a must. Actually this is not something that could be changed from PowerApps side, this is the setting from SharePoint. You have to have all the required fields filled, or else you cannot save a new item.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Gargoolgala
Level 8

I did  not accept this as the solution - not sure why it is posted as accepted unless someone at MS has the option to do so on my behalf.

I did actually get this working - I used submitform and decoupled the ID from the form using a variable.  I can now use submit form which will only attempt to save the items in the form. If a form is not started then I can tell it not to submitform via a required toggle.

So to say that every field in a record is required before it can be saved is incorrect.

naman199012
Level: Power Up

Can you share the steps for how you could achieve that, I have the similar requirement where the user needs to save the form in each step and the data source is the same list.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,864)