cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geraldmpiper
Level: Powered On

Validating an ID number against 20,000 records in data source

I need to create a app that will allow users to enter a 9-digit ID number, with the app confirming that the number exists in a table of 20,000 records, and returning a few additional fields from the table. There will be only one record in the datasource associated with any 9-digit ID. Is this possible with PowerApps?

7 REPLIES 7
OneThing
Level 8

Re: Validating an ID number against 20,000 records in data source

Hi  @geraldmpiper

This shouldn't be a problem for PowerApps. You will just need to connect to your data source and use the Lookup Function

Something along the lines of 

LookUp( DataSourceConnector, IDDataSourceColumnName =  IDNumberTextBox , ReturnColumn1,ReturnColumn2)

Thanks,
Nicky

geraldmpiper

Thanks, Nicky!

And no problem with the size of the datasource? I know there is a 500-record limitation for sharepoint lists.

Highlighted
OneThing
Level 8

Hi @geraldmpiper,

The 500 Limit is just the default app limit for a non delegable query, you can increase this to 2000 in the app settings but its not a good idea if you can help it.

A Lookup only returns one value so the size of your data source shouldn't matter but different sources have different limitations

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-list provides a full list of the available commands for different data sources.

Thanks,
Nicky

tchin-nin
Level 10

Hi @geraldmpiper

@OneThing is perfectly right, the lookup function doest exactly what you need. 

I just want to clarify some behavior related to the delegation.

@OneThing wrote:

Lookup only returns one value so the size of your data source shouldn't matter but different sources have different limitations

The delegation happens when querying your datasource, it doesn't matter if the function return one or several items.

Lookup is delegable in SharePoint, so you can use it to parse more than 500 items to find your item.

Last() function for example returns only one item, but it is not delegable. So you'll face issues operating a Last function against a SharePoint list containing more than 500 items.

I just wanted to make things clear, delegation has nothing to do with how much items are retrieved by the function, but only how much items your datasource is containing.

But again, in your case, @OneThing is right, the LookUp function is 100% what you need.

Théo

geraldmpiper

Thanks again, Nicky!

geraldmpiper

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @geraldmpiper,

Have you solved your problem?

I also agree with @OneThing's thought almost. I think the LookUp function could achieve your needs.

Please take a try with the following formula:

IsBlank(LookUp('YourSPList', DigitNumber = TextInput1.Text)) /* <-- DigitNumber column represents the column name within your SP list, which used to store the 9-digit ID number*/

Above formula would return true if the 9-digit ID number the end user typed is not existed within your SP list.

More details about the LookUp function, please check the following article:

LookUp function

Note: There is something wrong with the syntax of the LookUp formula that @OneThing provided.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
geraldmpiper

Thanks very much, Kris!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 460 members 6,439 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: