cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hpkeong
Level 10

Visible on ButtonPressed

Hi PG

In Project Siena, any items (eg Shape, Box) can be triggered, example Visibility using Button.Pressed function.

Example: 

- A TextBox.Visible = Button1.Pressed

- So, when PRESSING Button1, TextBox will be visible "true", and false when button is released.

I wish this function can be extended in PowerApps.

(I have tried for months and hopefully this function will restore OR maybe I am wrong in the setting?)

Moreoever, I suspect this maybe due to missing function of PRESSED as shown in tutorial.

Screenshot (108).pngIT is possible in Project SienaScreenshot (109).pngPressed ... not shown in PowerApps Studio

Thanks in advance.

Note:  I am using this function to trigger TImer so that I can achieve dual function

- Button.OnSelect = ShortPress

- Button.Pressed (with timer, say, 1 sec ) = LongPress

This is make the apps function better, even withotu PowerApps providing LONG PRESS function.

TQ and have a nice day.

hpkeong
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: Visible on ButtonPressed

As you mentioned, the Pressed property of the button in PowerApps is different than the one in Siena - and the documentation from PowerApps is misleading: it’s not set to true while the button is pressed, it’s more of a “pulse” property – when you press the button (or to be more specific, when you release the button), the Pressed value will be set to true, and immediately after it will be set to false (I'll talk to the documentation owner to have it updated).

The main scenario for the Pressed property is in a Reset scenario. All controls that have a Reset property need the value bound to that property to change for the data flow to “tell” the control that its reset property changed. So if you want to reset one (or more) controls with a click of a button, you can set the properties of those controls to ‘Button1.Pressed’ and you’ll get the controls reset when the button is pressed.

I'd suggest you create a new feature request in the PowerApps Ideas Board to have this functionality from Siena brought to PowerApps, if your solution with timers does not work for you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Hpkeong,

Thanks for feedback.

I have checked the documentation about Button control, From the documentation we know that it does have a Pressed property. But on the app, it seems that there is no Pressed property can be used.

4.PNG

I am going to confirm the Pressed property of Button control on my side. I will back once I got any response.

About the ShortPress and LongPress, I guess it should be a good addition for PowerApps, please consider to submit an idea at Flow Ideas Forum, hope PGs will take it into consideration in the future releases:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

As you mentioned, the Pressed property of the button in PowerApps is different than the one in Siena - and the documentation from PowerApps is misleading: it’s not set to true while the button is pressed, it’s more of a “pulse” property – when you press the button (or to be more specific, when you release the button), the Pressed value will be set to true, and immediately after it will be set to false (I'll talk to the documentation owner to have it updated).

The main scenario for the Pressed property is in a Reset scenario. All controls that have a Reset property need the value bound to that property to change for the data flow to “tell” the control that its reset property changed. So if you want to reset one (or more) controls with a click of a button, you can set the properties of those controls to ‘Button1.Pressed’ and you’ll get the controls reset when the button is pressed.

I'd suggest you create a new feature request in the PowerApps Ideas Board to have this functionality from Siena brought to PowerApps, if your solution with timers does not work for you.

View solution in original post

hpkeong
Level 10

Hi @CarlosFigueira @v-yamao-msft

Really appreciate of the detail explanation of Button-Pressed function.

Main reason of comparison is because I can get I want in Siena but not in PowerApps, which supposed to extend all usefull functions, 100% from Siena.

I have seen Touch Force in iPhone, which for myself, is a waste of user pocket money on force touch sensor on the screen to detect and trigger action based on differential in pressure.

For me, a stupid and simple ideas by using Timer + Press-Hold can achieve almost similar function without having investing in expensive pressure sensor.

I used to use Invisible Button / Visible Buttons to have different functions when OnSelect, such as:

- Navigate to another screens (yes this is normally done)

- Pop-Up another Gallery (on the same screen, using UpdateContext), to trigger Phone, SMS and Whtsapp

- Add records

- Edit Records,...(See below)

So, I guess this simple and yet useful action can make PowerApps creation more compact (less screens) but more funciton within a screen (and I found faster response without navigation).

I have post the ideas and wish that can be accomplished to make PowerApps more flexible in making a Functional Apps yet very userfriendly, attractive.

Correct me if I am wrong totally.

TQ

Screenshot (122).pngClick on Circle, Pop Up another Gallery for Call, SMS, Whatsapp, based on the temp contextScreenshot (123).pngEdit, Add and trigger to another screes, Click on Detail for editing biodata.

hpkeong

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 351 members 6,086 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: