cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aston
Level: Power Up

Visual Studio or Power Apps

I have been referred to Power Apps from the Expressionweb Forum. I hope you can help me decide and/or guide me through replacing my database forms and (very rudimentary) apps that I have created in a (please don't laugh) FrontPage 2000 website. History:

My main domain website was originally built using Frontpage2000, which is/was a fully-integrated program that creates web pages as well as .asp pages tied to an onboard Access 2000 database.  It was the database functionality of Frontpage (Database Wizard) that kept me locked into using the program. I have since "split up" my website into tow separate entities: The main, puiblic site, which was first switched over to an Expressionweb site,  is now a WordPress site. However,  I created a different domain to host a "temporary" Frontpage website to continue to handle all of the database functionality, with .asp pages that are privately accessible and some publicly accessible, with only a few links from the Wordpress site going to .asp forms that are non-updateable on the FP website. The two separate domains and websites are otherwise unconnected. It was first suggested that, to replace the currently hosted "back-end" administrative FP website, I should transition over to Visual Studio Express and migrate my Access2000 database into a SQL Server Express database, and re-build my forms with asp.net (The FrontPage Wizard created .asp pages). With VS I will have to recreate each page in asp.net manually. As I had switched over to Expressionweb for my main website (no database connectivity) I gained a small experience with css, style sheets, etc. before going over to Wordpress. However, it was also suggested on the Expressionweb forum that I check out Power Apps. I took a quick glance at the introductory Power App information, and maybe this will be a better solution...especially since I have started to create a series of actual "apps." (I guess that's what I should call them). They are basically update and review forms (in .asp) created in Frontage that are used by my partner-services, and are working well through their smart-phones. Can you give me a little guidance as to whether a Power App solution will work better than going through the learning curve of VS to re-create what I will need to replace my existing situation with the FrontPage website, which entails adding & updating records, etc.? I will still have to get away from my existing Access 2000 database...especially since Access2000 limits the amount of fields to 250 for any tables, and of course...Frontpage itself limits the amount of fields from a table or query that can be included in an .asp page itself. So I will need to go to a more advanced database regardless. I never checked out if later versions of Access have the same limitations.

Hope you can help. Ron

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Visual Studio or Power Apps

Hi @Aston,

Thanks for posting.

If the App would be used by external users that are not from the same organization (mostly should be within the same Office 365 tenant), then PowerApps may not be the right solution for you.

Current limits for PowerApps:

1. App created can't be shared with external users, 

2. Only could work with a work or School Account,

You may check more details for PowerApps in organization through the following page:

PowerApps in your organization Q&A

If you have any further questions, please post back.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 479 members 6,364 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: