cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mrunal
Level: Powered On

What is major different between two different instance of same datasource

If I have created app with datasource of sharepoint List (suppose Employee list) then In the app i found two different instance of same employee datasource

One is with name Employee 

and another with name [@Employee]

Both are pointed to the same datasource then,

What is the difference between these 2 instances?

4 REPLIES 4
PowerApps Staff archanan
PowerApps Staff

Re: What is major different between two different instance of same datasource

Can you clarify how you got 2 datasources in the app for the same SharePoint list? When you import the SharePoint list, you should see one datasource with the list name, in the "Datasources" pane on the right.

Mrunal

I didn't get two datasource but suppose I have created Employee datascource then when I move over the formula section then I saw datasource instance with both Employee and [@Employee]. Both works same, both shows elements of same emloyee list

KProuty

I think one may be where you changed something in the default configuration for that datasoure. (I could be wrong.) But when I do the (Trim) command, I then get an additional option, one field with the trim and one field without.

Would that explain things for you? Or did you not do anything to the default information display?

PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

Both of them refer to the same thing, namely your one and only Employee data source.

"[@identifier]" is global disambiguation syntax supported by the PowerApps Language. Any global entity, such as a control, data source, collection, dynamic data source, etc -- can be referenced by its global disambiguated syntax. This is particularly useful in cases where the name collides with a different identifier, for example the name of a column is a Filter operation:

Filter(HealthRecords, Employee.Age < First([@Employee]).Age)

In the formula above, the first "Employee" refers to a column (field) of HealthRecords, whereas the second disambiguated [@Employee] refers to the global data source. If I used Employee in both cases that would have been a logical (and type) error.

Please note that Intellisense often suggests both forms of an identifier, specificallty to raise awareness about the need to disambiguate in certain scenarios (particularly in row scoping, e.g. Filter, Sort, GroupBy, etc).

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 420 members 6,329 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: