cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keathley
Level: Powered On

Wi-Fi to Carrier Transition Issue

I have production users using an app, and have been reporting "Error: An unknown error occurred" for some time now.  I have struggled to track down this problem.  The errors tend to occurr when the user is saving (a new item to a SharePoint list).  They receive the error, but the new item is still created without issue.  

I believe I have finally tracked down at least one cause of this error.  I think it may be a bug, but am curious to get others take on it.

I cannot say that it is the only cause of the error, but I can say that I can consistently reproduce it.  What I have been able to reproduce is that the error occurs when the phone is connected to both the carrier (such as AT&T or Verizon) and Wi-Fi and you have an app open within PowerApps, and then you try to save after you lose your Wi-Fi connection.  When this occurs you get the red bar at the top of the screen with the error message.  There is a Wi-Fi dead spot here in my office, so I was able to reproduce by having everything connected, and then walking into the dead spot and then pressing save.  I was able to consistently (5+ times in a row) get the error.  This occurred even though I still had carrier (AT&T) coverage.  I believe PowerApps is not handling the switch from Wi-Fi to carrier correctly and that is what is producing the error (even though the new item still saves).  When this occurred every save produces the error.  After producing the error several times, I was able to resolve it by simply closing and reopening PowerApps (and then my app).  After the fresh start up of the app everything worked correctly without error again.  I again put myself back in the same situation (move to an area that had both carrier and Wi-Fi, open PowerApps and then the app, then move into the Wi-Fi dead spot again) and once again got the errors.  

Appreciate feedback if others have experienced this, or if others have users getting a similar error if you can confirm my findings.

Thanks,

Joey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PhilD
Level 8

Re: Wi-Fi to Carrier Transition Issue

Hi @keathley!

This sounds identical to an issue we are experiencing. Please check out this discussion as I think it definitely is related to what you describe.

In our case, the unknown error would come whenever connection was lost and subsequently restored. Even after the connection is restored, the error persists forcing the need to close and reopen the app as you have suggested you are doing.

As noted in this reply, a fix was apparently rolled out for Android but it is not entirely clear if this is corrected on iPhone yet (I asked yesterday but as of now there has not been confirmation). I noticed on my Android device I now get a bar at the bottom of the app that says, "Connection Lost" & "Reconnected" (or something to that affect) which seems to be new and may be related to the update.

I wasn't going to invest additional time testing on iPhone until I get confirmation of the iPhone fix rollout because I am busy trying to determine if we can even more forward with the app because of this other unrelated issue.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilD
Level 8

Hi @keathley!

This sounds identical to an issue we are experiencing. Please check out this discussion as I think it definitely is related to what you describe.

In our case, the unknown error would come whenever connection was lost and subsequently restored. Even after the connection is restored, the error persists forcing the need to close and reopen the app as you have suggested you are doing.

As noted in this reply, a fix was apparently rolled out for Android but it is not entirely clear if this is corrected on iPhone yet (I asked yesterday but as of now there has not been confirmation). I noticed on my Android device I now get a bar at the bottom of the app that says, "Connection Lost" & "Reconnected" (or something to that affect) which seems to be new and may be related to the update.

I wasn't going to invest additional time testing on iPhone until I get confirmation of the iPhone fix rollout because I am busy trying to determine if we can even more forward with the app because of this other unrelated issue.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
keathley
Level: Powered On

It appears with the recent update that this issue may have been resolved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,959)