Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
farsami
Level: Powered On

Wierd problem in Gallery

Hi friends,

I have a list of less than 4000 items on SharePoint Online.

image.png

I need to show today's items so I use IsToday function: Filter('Visit Records',IsToday(ServiceDate))

It does not shows anything and says "Delegation warning"

So I tried using LastN and also FirstN but the output is limited to a short priod of time: SortByColumns(LastN('Visit Records',10000),"ServiceDate",Descending)

image.png

And I have tried complete syntax, but it returned an empty gallery: Filter(LastN('Visit Records',10000),IsToday('Visit Date'))

Also increasing the row limit to maximum which is 2000 and no success.

Please let me know if there's any solution.

Thank you,

Faramarz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Wierd problem in Gallery

@MikeLockwood @farsami 

If you can avoid the local collections...you are much better off.  There are some issues with keeping things "connected" properly that you will need to provide formulas to do throughout your App.

So, the reality is (as discussed in other posts about delegation), you really want your datasource to give you the results you need.  This is not possible with SharePoint for many reasons.  In fact, it's not possible with SQL either, but in SQL you can create views and functions that will assist with it...in SharePoint, you cannot.  BUT, you can take steps in "preparing" your SharePoint list for PowerApps so that you can take advantage of those things which CAN be delegted.  For date, this is quite simpe to do.

You might take a look at this recent post in which this exact subject was discussed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Super User
Super User

Hi Faramarz

Unfortunately, SharePoint is limited in terms of executing delegated queries against date/datetime fields.

With SharePoint, the equals operator is delegable. Therefore, one workaround you can try is to store todays date in a variable, say in the OnStart property of your app.

Set(TodaysDate, Today())

You can then try the following formula in the Items property of your Gallery to see if that resolves the problem.

Filter('Visit Records', ServiceDate = TodaysDate)

Super User
Super User

@timl  I'm not sure that the equality operator is delegable for a DateTime column.  Can you verify that?  I've noticed it does not produce a delegation warning on the Formula, but I don't know off hand if it actually delegates. 

The Connector Reference for SharePoint says "No can do"...but I am curious if there is a discrepancy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
farsami

Thank you for you propmpt response.

I try that but I get the following error:

image.png

How can I change the format of a date?

farsami

Maybe that's the reason I got the error.

Super User
Super User

I usually just use : Filter(DataSource, DateField=Today())

Yes...it gives the Delegation warning but I have not found it to be a problem. I have some that Set the Variable...still does it. 

If you do want to go the Set Variable option to make it work you have to format them both to match...

Filter(DataSource, Text(DateField,"dd/mm/yyy")=Text(_CurrentDate,"dd/mm/yyyy"))

The only reason I ever use the Set option is if I have a date picker...but that is just my personal preferance.  

You will still get the delegation warning and will pull the same data. I haven't found a way to do it that doesn't show a delegation warning and I also haven't found one that it actually mattered...it still pulls in my data just fine.

Super User
Super User

@farsami @RandyHayes 

Sorry guys, I completely forgot that with SharePoint, the = operator doesn't work against date fields 😞 You end up getting the error that you see.

I don't think there's any simple workaround for this bug at the moment.

farsami

Thanks you for your support.

I believe there is another problem with FirstN and LastN as I said in my first post, can you explain that for me.

farsami

As I said I try that but it return nothing for me.

MikeLockwood
Level 8

I have found that to have greater flexibility in my criteria against data in a sharepoint list I collect it into a local collection to start with then from their can apply the filters.  I can see this would have some limitations as the data could quickly get out of sync but so far this has been working.

Thanks,
Mike L.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,488)